A Few Reverb Reviews

Absolutepower

These are all in comparison to the "track reverb" that comes with garageband.

First I tried the Valhalla Reverb. Even after an hour of messing with this I couldn't get it to beat garageband reverb. I'm not saying its bad, I just didn't think it was that great, although the demo only has the room reverb, and they have a "shimmer" one which is supposed to be really good. I didn't have access to that.

Then I tried the TCE M30 which is $40. This is really good, way better than Valhalla. It really gives a good full body massage to the sound, although I was surprised that in some cases garageband still beat it.

Then I tried the demo of the relab lx480. This one seemed to me to be very complicated to work with, however you can still get a very good result from it. I didn't take the trouble of spending hours messing with it though, since I don't plan on buying it. I'd be happy to have it though, and once I learned it, would probably be even better.

Conclusion: The built in garageband reverb really isn't as crappy as I thought it was relative to other low end verbs. Even though its pretty metallic and rings, I think you could still get a really good result from it.

Please feel free to add your own low end reverb review to this thread, or further comments on the ones listed hear.

I use the free version of the M30, and I'm pretty happy with it, I still like the Lexicon Pantheon for transients though.

I didn't like any freeware reverb I ever used. Glaceverb was kinda cool but more as a special effect reverb rather than a real authentic reverb. UAD EMT 140 is light years ahead of anything freeware.

Right I remember trying a few freeware ones a while back, but didn't like them. I have poor plate, but what I do with that is mix in just a little bit of it along with a regular reverb. It isn't competent on its own IMO. Right now I can't spend more than $100 on anything (I'm currently a full time student). If I did I would surely pick up the EMT Plate plugin everyone raves about.
BTW let's keep this thread limited to low end stuff, yes we all know the lexicon xxx is really good.
If money were no object, everyone would just get lexicon and move on.

Back