a few questions...somebody pleeeease help

thomas19

today i decided i was going to learn how to record. im in a band and lots of my friends are also. we're all pretty into music so i figured i'd get some recording equipment. i got a PMV DMS-5 Drum Mic System. Pv8 8 channel mixer. Fast track guitar/mic recording interface..to hook my mixer up to the computer..i've got a shure 58 mic and some stands..all that. my only problem is which program to use. i've been using the sony sound forge 7.0 but i can't figure out how to PLAY an already recorded track to lay down another track that will go over it. or how to put each channel seperate so i can have more mixing control. any help would be appreciated. my aim is xhugsxnotdrugs

another program suggestion if there is a better one to use would be nice also. thank you

You can check out Kristal Audio Engine (free).
You are only going to be able to record two tracks at a time with the Fast Track though.
To be able to record more simultaneous tracks, you will need an interface that offers more inputs.

Sound Forge is an editor not a multi-track sequencer.

why would i need more imputs? the only ones it uses is the cords from the mixer to the interface then the interface to the computer VIA USB...

thomas19 said:
why would i need more imputs? the only ones it uses is the cords from the mixer to the interface then the interface to the computer VIA USB...

So you can actually edit and mix the seperate elements. The ability to record only 2 tracks at once puts you slightly over the Fisher Price standard of recording.

I would consider 8 inputs to be a minimum number of simultaneous tracks.

Cloneboy Studio said:
The ability to record only 2 tracks at once puts you slightly over the Fisher Price standard of recording.
Especially for drums....

Rokket said:
Especially for drums....

Definately for drums.

Anything less than 4 tracks for drums is a joke. I'm not comfortable unless I have at least 8 tracks to work with. Typically I'll record a drum kit in about 12 tracks.

My record is around 21 tracks just for drums... but I was using triggers on a 4 tom kit, each tom was miked and triggered, 2 mics on the kick and triggers, 2 mics on the snare plus triggers, 3 overheads, high hat, ride cymbal and 2 room mics.

It was sort of an experiment at the time. Honestly, it wasn't appreciably better than my typical 8-9 tracks of drums. It took forever to set up too. :)

Back