A dumb question re 456 vs 499

ausrock

Guys, I'm short on time to search the forums so a quick question...............My tascam ATR-60 16 is by default, set up for 456, however, I know a guy who has a heap of "one pass" 499 that he'll let go very cheaply. What differences will I notice between the two, if I don't re-calibrate the ATR for 499.

Cheers,

ChrisO :cool:

I'm not sure but I expect the differences would be similar to using a high bias type II cassette in the normal bias position on a cassette deck; which means some changes in the EQ, some level anomalies and an increase in audible noise as the tape isn't being pushed up to the higher levels its designed to work at.

I don't believe the differences would be as drastic as just described though as both tapes are in the same bias class, like chrome and metal cassettes are, sharing the same bias frequencies, as far as I remember?

Cheers! :)

More Bias

There are 3 differences that you should be aware of. First is that 499 is thicker and stiffer. This will not be much of a problem for your ATR but might be a problem for other decks (32,34,38 etc). The possible results are greater head wear and reduced motor life.

Second is that 499 is a +9 tape (456 is +6). You can hit the 499 much harder without distortion which also means that the noise floor is lowered. Your deck will need to be able to be adjusted for that higher level to take advantage of it. You will lose the 456 tape compression sound (499 will compress if you can drive it hard enough - it will sound different) Of course use 406 is you want compression.

Lastly, 499 requires more bias than 456. I do not know if the ATR-60 channel cards can output that much bias. I have a MS-16 which is quite like the ATR and in stock form it will not bias 499 properly. There is a mod (increase the bias coupling cap value from 100 pF to 180 pF) that will allow the MS-16 to bias properly. MS-16 cards (also 58) are different shape that the ATR-60 cards (At least on the 2 track ATR). I have not seen the schematic so I cannot say if the design is the same.

With all that said I have my MS-16 and 58 set for 499 and like it a lot. With the mod it will bias OK. I tend to run it at 355 nWb/m = 0VU (+6) rather than +9 even with 499. That gives me lots of head room.

On my ATR-100 I expect to use ATR tape (+10) and calibrate it for +9. I'll get a little extra head room and lower noise floor. It is a 2 track.

Regards, Ethan

PS Oh ya, I would get the tape... (Wait, I have a bunch of 1" 499 already)

What differences will I notice between the two, if I don't re-calibrate the ATR for 499.

Most noticeable thing will be brighter sound, but that will be high frequency distortion due to inadequate bias level. It may or may not be an issue depending on type of music. Some people like it that way.

If you continue to use 499 instead of 456 expect faster wear of the tape path. That's always the rub (no pun) with +9 class tapes. I tend to baby my tape path, so I use 456 or even 406. Parts, including heads, are available for a lot of decks, but I'd like to postpone that expense as long as possible. If path wear were not an issue I'd probably be using GP9 without noise reduction. But now I have so much 456, SM468 and SM911 I don't think about it that much anymore. And I do prefer the character of 456 overall anyway for most things.

499 can't really hurt anything in the short term. IMO, its just a PITA to recalibrate for it, and once you're setup for it you'll be tempted to stick with it.

:)

Pulled up this old thread. I have a line on some 499, thought I'd use for final mix/master on an Otari MX5050Bii-2. This deck has bias adjustments right on the front panel, so going back and forth between it and 456 shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Any one have any experience with +9 tapes and this deck?

Otherwise I'm assuming it can handle the slightly higher bias requirement, and has a switch setting for 0VU= 320nW/m flux level.

Pulled up this old thread. I have a line on some 499, thought I'd use for final mix/master on an Otari MX5050Bii-2. This deck has bias adjustments right on the front panel, so going back and forth between it and 456 shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Any one have any experience with +9 tapes and this deck?

Otherwise I'm assuming it can handle the slightly higher bias requirement, and has a switch setting for 0VU= 320nW/m flux level.

Yeah, higher bias and some batches of 499 shed more oxide than 456. Ideally you should recalibrate for tape tension, input/output level and bias. You can also make the 320nWb/m setting anything you want through internal calibration, so you can make it higher and take advantage of the signal-to-noise gains that 499 offers. If you don’t change bias settings the high end will seem brighter, which you might like, but keep in mind what you're hearing is high frequency distortion.

Thanks!

The tension is jacked up on this machine already, and I need to get a scale. But hte adjustments are pretty rough to begin with, there are two springs with four holes each, so only 16 permutations. Looking over the service manual, AFAIK, there is no electronic tension adjustment, it's brute force. I'm starting to appreciate the Otari, (except for the hold downs -- which SUCK ) there are fine adjustments on the front for rec level, bias, and lo and hi EQ.

I'm not too worried about head wear though, I don't anticipate using 499 (when it arrives) for anything other then a final mix and or master reel, I have plenty of 456 and a ton of 031 and even more 632 for fun.

Back