A Different Soundfont Drum -Vienna- Question

Torpid-x

When I download drum soundfont's, the open, closed, and pedal hat's ussually stop the decay of each other and themselves. They are always located on the same 3 keys when they work.

Does anyone know how to make this work?
Is there a parameter to make this work between other keys?
Or is it just a channel 10 midi standard thing?

I've searched the Vienna help files and internet, but can't find any imformation on the subject.

Torp

Torp,

> Does anyone know how to make this work? <

Yes, you assign samples to an Exclusive Class group. Start Vienna, open a drum set (or start your own), then open the Instrument Pool. Now, right-click on a sample, select Properties, and then enter a number in the Exclusive Class field. If you enter 1, then all other samples set to Exclusive Class 1 will turn each other off. You can have up to 127 such groups, but personally I've never needed more than two.

If you want to learn more about Vienna - yes, the docs stink - go to my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

Then look for "Vienna SoundFont Studio" which is near the top of the list.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer, a retired computer programmer, lives in New Milford, CT. He plays the cello in several local orchestras, and never worries about samplers taking work away from "real" musicians.
LOL!!!:D :D

I know that artical, I found that a long time ago and it's still the only Vienna artical that comes up (and still works) on internet searches. I thought that was for instrument fonts, so I only skimmed it looking for the drum answer.

Moskus,

> LOL!!!:D :D <

It's true. I've heard the best strings and brass samples out there and the best of them come up short of real players. When a job demands the best quality and has a budget for real players, it's still the only way to go. But...

I love using samplers because it lets me hear what I'm writing and see how harmonies etc. will work. If I had to use a pencil and paper and wait for real players before I could hear something - the way Bach and Beethoven did - I'd get a lot less done and the quality would be far worse. And the players would be quite annoyed. :)

--Ethan

Moskus,

> LOL!!!:D :D <

It's true. I've heard all the strings and brass samples out there and the best of them come up short of real players. When a job demands the best quality and has a budget for real players, it's still the only way to go. But...

I love using samplers because it lets me hear what I'm writing and see how harmonies etc. will work. If I had to use a pencil and paper and wait for real players before I could hear something - the way Bach and Beethoven did - I'd get a lot less done and the quality would be far worse. And the players would be quite annoyed. :)

--Ethan

Back