A different kind of mix contest III

guitarhunny said:
Bruce, your mix has been chosen for my CD. It has the the clarity I was looking for. Thank you for putting the effort forth to bring out the subtlties in this sound. I am forever in amazement of your abilites. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

How would you like to be read on the CD leaflet and can I have a WAV file?
Cool tune, Ruth - and great work on everyone's part for the collab!

If you email or PM me your mailing address Ruth, I'll send you the CD.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Cool tune, Ruth - and great work on everyone's part for the collab!

If you email or PM me your mailing address Ruth, I'll send you the CD.
Hey Bruce? You looking for an intern? I need something to fill about 3 months of my life (May to August)... :D

Blue Bear Sound said:
Maybe your monitor position has a low-end null -- in my mix, the kick is exactly where it's supposed to be.

first off, congrats on being selected for guitarhoneys CD.

naw...my monitor system doesn't have a null in the low end... maybe my ears though!! ...but I always thought it was the hi freqs though! My setup isn't the newest, but with my URIE 813, JBL4311's and the little Auratones, I think the basses (no pun intended) are pretty well covered....and the room is pretty decent too. Maybe I ought to come into the 21st century with my monitor setup though.... but they are kinda like "old friends" at this point.

My personal preference was a little louder "thump" that I was hearing in Sine707's mix, and wasn't getting that in your mix and the others. I liked the thick reverb on your toms, however, but then again, I always like louder drums in a mix as my preference. I guess the kick was were it was supposed to be in the mix for you, but I would have preferred it a little louder.

You didn't hear those outta tune ac gitters?? Since they started the song off, they smacked me first...much harder than the bass guitar.

mixmkr said:
first off, congrats on being selected for guitarhoneys CD.

naw...my monitor system doesn't have a null in the low end... maybe my ears though!! ...but I always thought it was the hi freqs though! My setup isn't the newest, but with my URIE 813, JBL4311's and the little Auratones, I think the basses (no pun intended) are pretty well covered....and the room is pretty decent too. Maybe I ought to come into the 21st century with my monitor setup though.... but they are kinda like "old friends" at this point.

My personal preference was a little louder "thump" that I was hearing in Sine707's mix, and wasn't getting that in your mix and the others. I liked the thick reverb on your toms, however, but then again, I always like louder drums in a mix as my preference. I guess the kick was were it was supposed to be in the mix for you, but I would have preferred it a little louder.

You didn't hear those outta tune ac gitters?? Since they started the song off, they smacked me first...much harder than the bass guitar.
Hey MM,

I was razzing you a bit about the "nulls"... everyone's got slightly different tastes on mix balance for things like kick, toms fills, etc... I too like "present" drums and especially tom fills. The kick sounds correct on my system, as well as on the car and boom boxes I check on, so I'm happy with it.... anyone who would do a mix of course, will come up with slightly different balances - simply because of their own preferences!

And yes, the guitars are out of tune - it's actually why for the intro part, I only used one of the guitars, instead of both tracks - because with the instrument solo'd like that, the tuning issues were really obvious and made them sound phasey and washed-out. After the song comes in though, and with both guitars panned apart, the tuning issue almost acts a bit like a chorused part, which is how I treated it for the rest of the mix.

I suspect it was guitar tuning that was more the issue than Rokket's bass, but it was actually easier to get the bass to fit in with the guitars than the other way around, which is why I played with the bass tuning rather than the guitars.

I spent most of the time on getting the right depth for the vocals, which is the "money shot" of any song. If you can make the vocal track "pop", then as important as the rhythm beds are, they can slide right by because listeners are focusing their attention to the vocals.

Blue Bear Sound said:
I spent most of the time on getting the right depth for the vocals, which is the "money shot" of any song. If you can make the vocal track "pop", then as important as the rhythm beds are, they can slide right by because listeners are focusing their attention to the vocals.

I noticed that immediately on how good you were able to improve on the vocal sound over the other mixes. You really did a "vocal up" mix in which I would enthusiastically approve.

It seems vocal clarity and "correct" volumes are the number 1 problem I hear with most peoples mixes nowadays....at least in my opinion. They either get buried, or when the song musically increases in intensity, they get buried for sure....or they just overpower the song and sound like they were recorded in a different century as compared to the music tracks.

I think everyone needs a 1176 or at least an LA2A in their rig!! Make those Chineese mics I so love, sound their best!!

oh..BlueBear... I haven't called you any names in a while, but it just seems appropraite to call you a "tithead" or something similar for getting your new Sony. You asswipe!!! :D :D :D

mixmkr said:
oh..BlueBear... I haven't called you any names in a while, but it just seems appropraite to call you a "tithead" or something similar for getting your new Sony. You asswipe!!! :D :D :D
"tithead"???????? :eek: Thanks for that really weird mental image!

:D :D

sine707 said:
ok, this one is my final mix with rokket's new bass, also repitched.
thanks for this cool contest :)

Wow... You hit a lot of the places that I was trying to make my mix sound like...
Nice job!!!

:)

Back