A desperate question

Javo

About a month ago I bought the Studiophiles SP-8B monitors, tonight I think I probably blew them...
I had the volume at the 9 o'clock position (thats pretty low) and I was experimenting with multiclient possibility of my soundcard, but I feed the monitoring out to the in of the card and it started a kind of feedback noise, must have been the floor signal noise being amplified causing digital noise. The noise sounded very noisy and loud, and I'm worried that even with the volume set at 9'oclock this type of feedback could damage my new monitors.
If anyone has had this experience before let me know.

P.S. After the feedback I tested the monitors, and I think one of them sounded different for a while, then no different at all. Do you think that it could have been for only a while, or maybe I was being biased?

It doesn't make sense to me that at such a low volume at the monitors even when I was hearing a loud noise, the monitors can be damaged. Thanks for your help.

I don't know about your specific monitors but I've roached my YSM-1's on two seperate occassions. Both times it was due to my sound card flipping out and going into a very high frequency ocilation at high volume. On both occassions it took the high freq drivers. It was immidiately obvious as all the high end was gone.

How did it happen? what is the card flipping?
My high freq. drivers are sounding, but I sort of heard a little distortion... now I don't think I hear it any more?
What was your volume configuration at your YSM-1, I was almost decided to buy the powered ones (Yorkvilles) but I got the Musician's Friend special at $300 the pair... now that special is gone, they have the SP-5b for the same price, I think I did a good deal, but now I think I'm going to fry them soon if my soundcard keep going berserk.

The computer locked up and the card generated a squeal. I had been mixing at 85-90dB so when it locked it sent a lot of hifg freq energy to the monitors. It's POSSIBLE that your drivers are damaged but not readily obvious (the voice coils could be scorched or deformed). Just keep an ear on them to see if you start hearing that distortion come and go.

After the first time I spent $220 on a pair of tweets for my KRK's, I talked to one of their engineers and we agreed that the very minor possible sound change of an inline fuse with each tweet was a small price to pay for peace of mind (piece of sound)

Sooo, I opened the box (thru the hole the tweet mounts in) and added an automotive inline fuse holder to each tweet's positive lead, put a 1 amp fuse in, and stopped worrying about it. Couldn't hear even HALF an iota of difference... Steve

Is there a way to know if the speakers have actually suffered some damage, I mean other than hearing. I wan't to make sure that my monitors are ok, but I don't know if the difference in sound from each other is from the factory or if I blew one of them.

I mean, can the poweramp attached to the speaker suffer damage and alter the freq. response for that particular speaker? or does the damage need to be physical (broken cone or burned cable inside). I was comparing the freq. response graphs from the factory that came with my monitors and I noticed an increment of about 2 dB on the 5K range, is that difference perceivable? I can't trust my ears, since to me one of them maybe is damaged for the digital feedback of my soundcard.

Back