A decent stereo pair for piano??

rgraves

Hi all,

I hate these stupid best mic for $$$ threads...buuuuuut, I am going to get a stereo pair to record piano, and need it to be right around $400. I have mic'd up this piano before many times with 1 mic, and it always comes out quite good (if you can believe that.) A new client I have though, wants a stereo recording, and I have been wanting to do that for a while anyways, but now I'll have the (limited) funds to do it.
The piano is a 7 foot semi concert grand, if that matters. Also, I am going to be recording solo piano, and will probably be doing little or no EQ'ing, and there will be lots of low notes (romantic pieces) so I need the mics to be able to pick up whatever low notes clearly...not sure exactly how low the piano goes, but I'm thinking pretty low.

So, any suggestions would be appreciated!

A pair of Rode NT2s would suit piano nicely, but the price would probably be about $600-$700.

Eck

I used a pair of AKG C-430's, they worked nicely, they are $200 a piece, but for some reason musiciansfriend sold them to me for only $200 for both, I actually think the sale markdown was a mistake. Anyway, I really liked the product, but I had my laptop recording only about 9 feet away, so I had to use some noise reduction, which ended up making my tracks lack some high-end. Hrm, I was about to upload some of the recordings to lightningmp3, but we don't own the copright, so I shouldn't upload to there. If you're really interested in the sound of those mics on a Steinway grand (not sure of the size), then PM your e-mail to me and I can attach Arabesque for you to hear. Good luck in your search for the mic, though.

apl said:
Here's is a piano recording clip made with Naiant MSH-1 SDC Omnis, well within your budget.

Yeah, I have seen lots of threads recommending these...and quite a steal at the price...I might buy those anyways, but part of the deal is a $450 mic allowance, and I couldn't pay $44 and pocket the rest (unfortunetly.) But at that low of a cost I'll probably get some of those anyways just because.

Richard Monroe said:
I second Studio Projects C-4 for that application in that price range.-Richie

Anyone have an opinion on the AKG c1000 pair versus that studio project pair? They are the same price...

Thanks

rgraves said:
Anyone have an opinion on the AKG c1000 pair versus that studio project pair? They are the same price...

Thanks
I don't think you'd be happy with the sound of a pair of C1000's on a grand piano.

Harvey Gerst said:
I don't think you'd be happy with the sound of a pair of C1000's on a grand piano.

Oh wow, thanks for answering Harvey...that's about the best advice I could hope for...it seems like a lot of people are using 2 sm81's for recording grands...that should push me considerably beyond my budget...is it much better to use the sm81s instead of those studio projects??

If so, maybe I should save up a bit.

rgraves said:
Oh wow, thanks for answering Harvey...that's about the best advice I could hope for...it seems like a lot of people are using 2 sm81's for recording grands...that should push me considerably beyond my budget...is it much better to use the sm81s instead of those studio projects??

If so, maybe I should save up a bit.

FWIW, used SM81s can be found used in the $150-200 range. I picked one up in the used ads here for $125.

Also, do not discount the CAD M179. Seriously, the most versatile condenser under $300. You would not regret having a pair around.

ecktronic said:
Sounds real nice IMO. Apart from the chair squeeking! :)
You not got the chair reduction plug in yet. :P

Eck
I don't think the noise came from the chair I think it was from the sustain pedal. I had the same experience. Needs lubricant! :p

I have tried a variety of inexpensive SDCs from 603s to JM27s and think the SM81s are your best bet. There's a reason they are popular in recording and live sound applications, b/c they are ruler flat have and have a smooth top end. I would look for a used pair on ebay.

8th Street is selling pairs of the AT 4041 (with cables) for only $420 (product code 4372). These normally sell for around $280 each. A sweet deal IMO.

i paid $200 for both of the AKG's, thats the old price on them, a special from MF for like 6 months.

i wouldnt get them though.. for $400, Røde NT5's would be my pick.

as far as used, maybe you could get SM81's, but dont figure on less than $500 for a pair, i wouldnt think. they are $350 each new..

scrubs said:
FWIW, used SM81s can be found used in the $150-200 range. I picked one up in the used ads here for $125.

wanna sell that one? ;)

whoa thats an awesome price. gotta keep my eyes out better..

also, Craigslist.org is the shit!

I picked up 2 jm27s for 100 bucks and they do the job just fine. They are probably cheap and delicate but for 100 bucks you cant really go wrong. It also came with mic clips and shock mounts for both mics. I can send you a piano recording I did with them in stereo.

Back