A/D question.

ProJect

Alright, so I got an RME Multiface. I haven't gotten the card yet 'cause I don't have the money. Now, if I get a MOTU 2408, can I hook up my multiface to it using the lightpipe and basically use it as a bridge from my RME to my computer plus the added benefits of 8 backup channels? Getting a used one would be cheaper than getting RME's PCI card. Would I have any issues with anything if I did this? Would this even work at all? How about with an RME 96/36 or 96/52? I've been seeing these sell on eBay for cheaper than the HDSP card.

Thanks in advance!
Connor

Last edited:
Yes, that will work (lightpipe to the MOTU).
However, if you get the Hammerfall, you'll have better options.
I suppose it's a matter of cost/benefit in the end.

what kind of options? All I want is the converters, really. Midi is nice, too, but that's also on the MOTU.

Connor

You shuold be able to use both the analouge and lightpipe I/O simultaneously, plus the software options etc.

From what I can tell, the multiface is more of a frontend to the hammerfall than a converter...

Personally, I'd go with a RME card. A friend uses a HDSP 9652 in his studio - can't say enough about it. I've been in the studio and seen it in action and was pretty impressed. Routing is insane. I'm guessing your looking at the DIGI cards? You can expect rock solid drivers and great performance from RME whichever you choose. Conversion is great to A/D - D/A and I'd place it above the MOTU in these regards (at least in comparison with the earlier 2408's).

As far as the MOTU 2408 is concerned, I've never used one. I've owned a MOTU 896 previously and thought it was a good product AND it worked just fine on my PC. You might have read some nightmare stories with MOTU on PC's, but I'm not one of those stories. If you do go the MOTU route, I'd stay away from the eBay auctions for the MOTU 2408 w/ the PCI324 card. I'd opt for the ones with the PCI424 card - for compatibility sake. Are you thinking the original 2408 or the newer ones? They are up to 2408mk3 now and all I'm seeing on eBay is mk1 and mk2 units.

Back