a/d converters?

shadowfax

hello all. i want to go from the aux outputs on my mixer (1/4") to the RCA inputs on my delta 1010LT (which is in the process of being shipped to me, so if there's an easy answer staring me in the face its because i dont have this thing yet.) Do i need something in between the two to convert 1/4" to RCA? (an a/d converter?) or can i just use some sort of adapter on the cables?
if i need a converter, can you please recommend one which can convert 8 signal paths? how much do these things cost? thanks for your help!

You will need some 1/4" to RCA (probably male) cables. Use either adapters or prefab.

The convertors are in the Delta so you are covered there.

Cabling is your issue. Get that together and you got it made.

"Converter"?

So far as I can tell, you're connecting analog outputs from your mixer (they kinda hafta be analog outputs, since nobody puts digital outputs on 1/4" jacks that I'm aware of) to analog inputs on your soundcard, right? The only "converter" you need is cables with a 1/4" plug at one end and an RCA plug at the other.*

I expect your new soundcard has digital inputs too, which also probably use RCA jacks. If you really wanted to, you could buy a converter and put it in between your mixer and the soundcard. But, since a significant part of what you're buying the soundcard for is its ability to take a bunch of analog inputs and convert them to digital (i.e. its AD converters), I've got to figure you don't want to buy another set of AD converters. It's sort of like buying a converter to use with your converters.

Now, for the intricate subtleties of "converting" 1/4" to RCA: the easiest solution is to use cables that come that way. You can even make them yourself, if you're so inclined. If, for some obscure reason, you insist on using cables with the same kind of connectors at each end, you can buy adapters. I would only suggest that buying an RCA-RCA cable and RCA(F)-1/4(M) adapters is preferable to a 1/4"-1/4" cable and 1/4(F)-RCA(M) adapters, because the adapters are smaller, cuter and put less strain on the jacks.

*Okay, you also need to worry a tiny bit about balancing and levels (you know, +4 and -10).

so the converters are in the soundcard? excellent, that's what i wanted to hear. I had figured it would work like that until i read a post in the mic forum about an outside a/d converter which made me wonder. thanks for clearing that up.

as for cabling, i'll figure something out. i have an 8 line snake that's 1/4"m to 1/4"m unbalanced (there's only one or two balanced input on the soundcard anyway, which i''ll get another cable for) which i was planning on using for this purpose when i bought it, but then later found out i'd made yet another newbie mistake and not realized the ins and outs on the soundcard were RCA. Anyhow, like i said, i'll figure something out when the card finally gets here.

thanks a lot for your help!

hello all. i want to go from the aux outputs on my mixer (1/4") to the RCA inputs on my delta 1010LT
You have 8 Aux outs on your mixer? Are you talking about the Direct Outs or Inserts? Don't want you to get your sound card and realize you cant use it the way you want. What is the mixer?

TexRoadkill said:

You have 8 Aux outs on your mixer? Are you talking about the Direct Outs or Inserts? Don't want you to get your sound card and realize you cant use it the way you want. What is the mixer?
;) I was thinking the exact same thing, TexRoadkill. ;)

no no, i've thought it through a little more than that. actually the sound card arrived today but i was out... ironically, i was picking up my upgraded computer and missed the delivery by 5 minutes. i'm gonna go pick it up tomorrow :D (technically later today.. but i havent slept yet, so it's tomorrow for me.)

Anyhow, i've got a mackie CR1604. it's got 6 AUX outs and 2 alternate outs (what you mute gets sent to these outs and is controlled by two of the aux volume controllers when you push in a button on the track.)

even though i actually do have 8 outs, i'm actually only going to use the 6 AUX outs. The other two signals im going to be recording come out of my DMP3 (the mackie is an older board with only 6 XLR inputs. that's fine, though.. while i didnt know that when i bought it, i got a really good price and this way i can add a little flavor and selection via outboard preamps.. the dmp3 is just the beginning. iow, no complaints. :))

thanks for the concern and the helpful spirit. :)

shadowfax said:
Anyhow, i've got a mackie CR1604. it's got 6 AUX outs and 2 alternate outs (what you mute gets sent to these outs and is controlled by two of the aux volume controllers when you push in a button on the track.)

The direct outs and inserts are better suited for that but you can do whatever works. Running through the Aux's probably isn't the cleanest signal path. The inserts will be the shortest path out and the direct outs would be the next choice if you need to use the EQ.

Shadow, you'll like that card. It sounds good; and it's very upgradable.

Keep in mind that the a/d converters on it aren't as good as a lot of the newer AKM's out there (and not the same as those in the regular 1010). Just thought I'd warn you. Honestly, though, it does still sound impressive.

I picked up the Mindprint D.I. Port to go with it. It also has a/d converters, and it uses the good ones, so that serves as the a/d for any overdubs or track-at-times I do. It's also a definite step up in the d/a department, as well (for playback). It also has some damn nice preamps for the money (similar to the dmp3).

Makes for a really a nice combo.

Back