A/D converter lesson, please

KevinTran

Hey guys,
I tried doing a search for "A/D converter" but was unsuccessful in finding real useful information.

Recently, Blue Bear suggested that I could record 2 tracks simultaneously with my Audiophile 2496. But for the second track, I'd have to use an A/D converter and feed the SPDIF input for one of the tracks.

Do A/D converters come with mic pres?
I need some suggestions, please. Thanks.

kt

You can do two tracks with the analog inputs and two more tracks with the digital inputs.

A DAC converts the analog sound to a digital signal. Some have pres some do not.

What's your budget?

TexRoadkill said:
You can do two tracks with the analog inputs and two more tracks with the digital inputs.

A DAC converts the analog sound to a digital signal. Some have pres some do not.

What's your budget?

Tex, are you talking about 4 mono inputs??

I didn't really think about budget. Let's say 2-300 bucks, but I'd be happy with basic 100 unit if that exists. I'm still learning and not too concerned with having the "best".

kt

LOL! ! :D This is funny. I just posted this a few days ago:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=89166

And I forgot all about the DI/O.

In short, the ART used to be all the rage when it first came out, because the idea of "warming up" digital tracks was all the rage amongst the sad masses of the hopelessly clueless. Basically the Kevin Tran's of the world. :D

In short, it's nothing special, although there are apparently some mods you can do if you're in to hotrodding this sort of thing. And it doesn't have mic pres.

If you're looking for a really good bang for buck a/d converter -- mic preamp box fairly inexpensively, I would look around for the Mindprint DI Port. For the money, it's a great-sounding box, and a very useful tool to have around.

BTW -- I'm only boycotting the mic forum.

I used to be hopelessly clueless.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

But now there's hope (thanks to HomeRecording.com!).
:D :D :D

DonF
Proud owner of an ART Toob MP Studio

chessrock said:
LOL! ! :D This is funny. I just posted this a few days ago:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=89166

And I forgot all about the DI/O.

In short, the ART used to be all the rage when it first came out, because the idea of "warming up" digital tracks was all the rage amongst the sad masses of the hopelessly clueless. Basically the Kevin Tran's of the world. :D

In short, it's nothing special, although there are apparently some mods you can do if you're in to hotrodding this sort of thing. And it doesn't have mic pres.

If you're looking for a really good bang for buck a/d converter -- mic preamp box fairly inexpensively, I would look around for the Mindprint DI Port. For the money, it's a great-sounding box, and a very useful tool to have around.

BTW -- I'm only boycotting the mic forum.

I'll check out the Mindprint...thanks for the suggestion.

kt

Hey chessrock,

didn't you just get rid of your mindprint?? I looked it up and the thing looks just like one you had up for sale.

kt

Yea, that's the one. Liked it a lot. Served me well. Have bigger and better toys now, but still respect the DI port as something that hangs very close to a similar class (to what I have now). It's a gem for the money.

Back