A Couple Test Recordings

First off, understand that I'm a big JT fan, so when you do one of his songs, you invite the inevitable comparison, which, let's face it, almost nobody could live up to.

I will say that it grew on me after awhile, but to be honest, your voice is a little weak, like you're conserving your breath because you cant make it through if you don't.

Are you playing and singing at the same time? (very nice playing, btw)

What mic are you using and where are you doing this?

Yes, I am playing and singing at the same time. I think I understand what you are saying, and I actually agree. I was just singing and playing into a pair of Gefell m300's a couple feet away, so that would account for some of the sound your are hearing. Thanks for the response.

These are scratch takes so I'm not all that concerned with every phrase - just an overall impression. I think WM is pretty smooth even scratch, but LH needs a bit more planning on the breathing to get some specific phrases in the intro/chorus a bit smoother.

Towards the end of WM you seem to get really "warmed up" and you have some great vibrato going. Seems to fit your vocal range well. I think JT is an artist you can definitely work with....

Was WM sung/recorded last of the two/same day? You seem more warmed up.....

Choice geetar playing, excellent sound recording as always....

Repost once you have a final cut on these - I'm looking forward to them....

:) :D :) :D

I think maybe I need a "BIG" sounding pre. I used the Avalon AD2022. Ya, more warmed up on the WM song. Both songs are a challenge. Thanks!

Rick Shepherd said:
I think maybe I need a "BIG" sounding pre. I used the Avalon AD2022. Ya, more warmed up on the WM song. Both songs are a challenge. Thanks!
When you get that new pre you won't need that old Avalon, so I'll pm you my address and you can send it to me ok? (just kidding, well maybe :rolleyes: :p :) :D )......

Perhaps if you weren't playing and singing at the same time, you could concentrate more on the vocal. I don't know anything about that mic (or any mic that expensive :( ) but I think you need to be a little closer for the vocal. You need something that'll give you a little proximity boost.

And as far as 'warmed up', I'd say it's just more confident. That's why I think if you could do the vocals seperately, you could put a little more 'oomph' into it, without having to think about the guitar part.

But if that's the way you normally do it, I know it's hard not to.

I'm sorry. Here I am critiquing this like it's a final take when you said it's a scratch. But the way it stands, you need some more force behind it to sell the song.

Heck, I just wish I could play guitar like that.

Back