A couple ?'s about SoundForge

RyanV

Hello all!
I'm using a digital 16 track to track and mix my songs, but after I'm done mixing and I burn to a cd, the overall sound is just a little low. Can you use soundforge for mastering like this? Or can you reccommend software that will boost the overall level of my recordings? Can you use something like soundforge to edit tracks with if you put them in the computer? Thanks for checking out the post.
Ryan

SoundForge is a great editing platform (it's what I use). The real power in any editor though is the plug ins. I like the Waves stuff (the compressors are real nice) and Timeworks has a nice mastering compressor and EQ.
T-Racks is a program that's suposed to model tube mastering gear but, IMHO, I don't care for it (you can mangle a mix real quik with it).

I pretty much just need something right now that will boost the overall volume of my mix....I like my mixes a lot, they are just a tad bit quieter than I think they should be. I'm looking for something cheap (even a demo version or something) that will boost the overall songs. Any suggestions? Thank you!

That's an easy one . . .

Waves Ultramaximizer and Sonic Timeworks' Mastering Compressor are both designed specifically for that purpose.

Free trials can be downloaded off of either of their web sites.

I own both, and I use them to boost the overall volume on absolutely everything I mix.

Comparison: They're pretty much the exact same program. The Ultramaximizer is definitely smoother and gentler on the ears. The Timeworks give your songs a bit more of kick-in-the-arse, but be careful, as the volume peaks in your music can sometimes sound a bit harsh and even distorted if you're not careful how you use it.

I have both of those as well and they're all you say but they're plug ins and unless he already has an editor (like soundforge) he can't run them.

Last edited:
my bad . . .

Thank you, Track Rat, for the correction.

1) Download a trial version of Soundforge (or acquire through any other legal/ethical means you deem appropriate).

2) Buy or download trial of Sonic Timeworks Mastering Compressor and/or Waves Native Pack. Go to any search engine and search for keywords "Sonic Timeworks free trial" or something to that effect.

In that order.

Set your output volume to just below "0." Watch the input volume meter (on the left), and move the threshold down until it's good and loud, yet still pleasing to the ear . . . you don't want to squash the life out of it, in other words. Over-doing it can ruin a perfectly good piece of work. Definitely save the uncompressed version to a different file name in case you need to go back and re-do the effect.

Good luck.

track rat,

i have t-racks and use it for everything. are you talking about the presets or the manual knobs. b/c i agree some of the presets can ruin the mix entirely but theres a ton of them...a lot of which are awesome. i often times use a preset and then tweak it to my liking. im sorry...i guess i just can't see how you wouldnt like this program!

Don't missunderstand me, it's a tool like any other. You can get great results with it. I have it and have used it with success but the Timeworks and Waves, IMHO, just sound better. On a two buss mix, I don't want to hear artifacts from the mastereing compressor coloring the sound and with T Racks I can hear it.
YMMV. :D

here's a better idea. you can rent pro gear pretty cheap if you live near a big city. Rent a summit limiter or some other vintage tube compressor and hit it real hot. You can get your waveform big as hell and it'll sound a hell of a lot better.

Back