a couple questions...

ethos

Swag Type Heavy
Haven't been around these parts in a while. hello again to people I never knew.

I'm starting to suspect I don't know what i'm doing.
heres what i'm doing..

I'm running protools with an Mbox 2 Pro.
Anything I record, is going into a mixer (little Tapco. upgrading soon)
and then from the mixer into the MBox, and then into the computer obviously.

ex: Mic > Mixer > Mbox > ProTools.

I'm using no preamp on the mic, just the phantom power.
heres where i'm doubting myself though. The mixer has phantom power, and so does the Mbox, is that stupid? is this hurting my sound at all?

I see no other way of doing it other than scraping the mixer and just unplugging and plugging shit into the Mbox every time I want to change instrument.

and a quick side question which I expect will be a one word answer....
is a decent preamp much better than the mixer/mbox phantom power?

thanks for anything you have.

If you're plugging your mic into a mixer, then you're using a mic pre (unless your mic has a 1/4" plug). How are you plugging the mixer into the MBox?? You certainly don't need phantom power on the mbox if you're plugging the mic into the mixer. I'm not familiar with the MBox, but what does the manual say for making connections to mixers?? You certainly don't want to plug into the mic jacks on the MBox from the mixer.

My suggestion is to not think about a separate mic pre for right now. You should be able to get a decent mix with the mixer and Mbox. Once you have your set up working properly for you, then you can start to think about adding new variables.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you're plugging your mic into a mixer, then you're using a mic pre (unless your mic has a 1/4" plug). How are you plugging the mixer into the MBox?? You certainly don't need phantom power on the mbox if you're plugging the mic into the mixer. I'm not familiar with the MBox, but what does the manual say for making connections to mixers?? You certainly don't want to plug into the mic jacks on the MBox from the mixer.

My suggestion is to not think about a separate mic pre for right now. You should be able to get a decent mix with the mixer and Mbox. Once you have your set up working properly for you, then you can start to think about adding new variables.

Hope this helps.

it did help, thank you.

I haven't checked the manual :-)o) for how to make connections to a mixer.
I will do this today.

and yes, I was running 1/4 in. cables from the L/R audio outs on the mixer into the 2 inputs on the Mbox. mic inputs that is.

thanks again.

and damn I love the activity on this board. not having to wait multiple days for a response it fantastic.

Back