A Couple of Songs

Fangar

Hey Guys,

Just a couple of songs that I have here. Both of them were written a while back and have been recently re-arranged and re-recorded with some of my new equipment. Still working the kinks out with mixing. Let me know how they hit you. Thanks in advance,

http://www.nowhereradio.com/fangar/singles

Frank 2010
Tears

Cheers,
Fangar

frank 2010:

I love rain...
nice drum sound...and mono gtr. (sitting on the bass gtr, btw).
whoa...weird change there (1:20..or so)...like genre shifting...is that legal?:p
phew...back to the good chording stuff with wolves...phew.

all in all...very interesting, sound effects and all....but too mono sounding. Bass gtr is a little undefined too.

I bet someone tells you to double the rhy gtr riffing and pan them left/right.....I'd put some serious money on it (if this post wasn't here and I wasn't announcing a bet!!).

Nice lead soloing btw...kinda Vai-ish....I like that.

Tears:

you are a weird sucker, aren't you? great intro and lead gtr. I bet you don't like Vai...do you?? Nice strat sound too...or whatever gtr you are using. This song has a better "spread" to it...and I really like the chord changes and solos.....my kinda stuff.
This is musically GREAT. I'm kicking butt with headphones on...so I'll leave the recording comments to others...but it sounds great on the phones.

oh....nice avatar too....can you make 'em all stick in the red?;)

so....you made this up?? nice, really nice.

one last comment....I had to rip the phones off, and crank the speaks....sounds good. ...but....
the lead gtr sound, is very ...well...you name your fav gunslinger gtr player, especially vai, johnson...etc. I think the chops are there, you have a good sound....probably original enough...but I think you could make the guitar sound more "up and front, center stage"...put the spotlight on it. It deserves it. It's got that "dry, kinda, no-top-end, kinda sound to it...which is good, but think van halen...he didn't hold back...so I wouldn't with your stuff... NO..don't copy van halen...but assume the spotlight "position" with the solo gtr, like he did.

again....musically, very nice.

Thanks for the reply!

Mixmkr,

Let me start off by saying thank you very much for taking the time to listen and placing so much effort into your suggestions and comments.

whoa...weird change there (1:20..or so)...like genre shifting...is that legal?

Yeah weird huh. Not sure why that happened, but I am positive that it is far from legal. I am just so used to being law abiding that I use Music to break the rules.

all in all...very interesting, sound effects and all....but too mono sounding. Bass gtr is a little undefined too.

I agree 100% with the mono sound of this song. Wasn't going for it and don't like it. As you can see in the next song "Tears", I am getting used to the equip a bit. My biggest problem, is that I use an adat for recording. Actually, I love that thing. When I dump that to PC, I can add more and then dump that. Right now though I am limited to 8 tracks, cause I am using Sonic Foundry's Vegas (A version limited to 8 tracks) that came with ACID 3.0. I got so used to using it that I have not begun to use ACID for the mixing instead. Anyway, I will work that out soon.

As for the bass sound... Again 100% agreement. I just have not found the way to get that great sound. I have a nice Ibanez SR Active with mahogany body. Sounds great through a nice amp, but I am a direct recorder (cause my 1 year old daughter is asleep when I am recording...wouldn't change her for the world). Need to look into a good DI box. I use the POD 2.0 right now, but have not had much time to farkle (techincal term) with the settings.

Nice lead soloing btw...kinda Vai-ish....I like that.

Thanks so much. Vai along with many others are all motivation, aren't they. He makes me furious. I love his stuff. Vai-ish is about as close to Vai as I could ever come, so thank you. :p

you are a weird sucker, aren't you? great intro and lead gtr. I bet you don't like Vai...do you?? Nice strat sound too...or whatever gtr you are using. This song has a better "spread" to it...and I really like the chord changes and solos.....my kinda stuff.

That's affirmative on the wierd sucker! But in a positive way...I hope. Dang! And yes sir, I love Vai. I am using an Ibanez RG with passives. Split-able coils and stuff. Yup, basically a strat.

The spread here comes from the stereo guitar tracks Panned (Damn it...how much do I owe you? You won the bet...). 2 tracks for the clean and two tracks for the solo and dirty tracks. Again the bass sucks, though it came out a little better on this tune for some reason. Thanks for the kind words here.

oh....nice avatar too....can you make 'em all stick in the red?
so....you made this up?? nice, really nice.

Avatar. All in the red? No Problem... I'll work on that. :p

Yeah, I made it up. Actually I wrote the chord changes and melody (solo line) back in 1991 when I graduated high school. I really liked the way it kinda hung out there. So I made a few adjustments.

one last comment....I had to rip the phones off, and crank the speaks....sounds good. ...but....
the lead gtr sound, is very ...well...you name your fav gunslinger gtr player, especially vai, johnson...etc. I think the chops are there, you have a good sound....probably original enough...but I think you could make the guitar sound more "up and front, center stage"...put the spotlight on it. It deserves it. It's got that "dry, kinda, no-top-end, kinda sound to it...which is good, but think van halen...he didn't hold back...so I wouldn't with your stuff... NO..don't copy van halen...but assume the spotlight "position" with the solo gtr, like he did.

again....musically, very nice.

This is a great suggestion. Thanks for pointing that out. I know where you are coming from here, and will work on that. Since the songs don't have any vocals, that needs to be there. Stand by for some of those vocal tunes...then you will really have some mud slinging to do :p . Stand by for some of them. Have to wait until I get some "awake" time, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again and again for the compliments and constructive critisism. Notes taken and implementation eminent. The bottom line for me is that I am a mediocre engineer at best.

Cheers!

Fangar

Now...don't slap me...but I use a Ric 4001 into a J-station into the PA when I play live (I'm a gtr player mainly though...ha!), and I suspect that it might not sound toooo bad for DI recording either. The POD didn't seem to work for the bass, unlike the bass amp settings on the J-station. I however have never tried it on my bass in the studio for some alien reason.

Does the J-station sound decent? They are pretty inexpesive, unless I could find something more geared towards bass specifically. I know lots of guys that do the direct bass thing for live too. Good job!

Fangar

wellll...there are three bass amp settings, I believe...and one of them gives a nice clear sound (good for my ric), while the other two kinda blow...but it might be worth dragging your bass down to the store and trying it out. With no experience to talk from, I hear/understand/have read, the bass POD isn't so hot. Anyway...I think you'd enjoy the J-station for some of the gtr sounds too. It actually has better effects, if that means squat.

Man man who needs AOL. We have got real time chat right here. I will check that out. I might try a Sansamp DI. I used to have one for geetar. I know there is one for bass too.

Fangar

Sounds like Satch

Tears:
Sounds cool man!I heard one of satriani's riffs in the first solo(same riff from "Always With Me, Always With You").Sounds great!

Are you playing an Ibanez by any chance?

[edit to add]I just read a little further up that you do play an Ibanez.:-)

Re: Sounds like Satch

rbw87 said:
Tears:
Sounds cool man!I heard one of satriani's riffs in the first solo(same riff from "Always With Me, Always With You").Sounds great!

Are you playing an Ibanez by any chance?

[edit to add]I just read a little further up that you do play an Ibanez.:-)

rbw,

Thanks for the listen. I am familiar with that song. Satriani is another hero, though something about VAI makes me more furious. I think Vai has that odd edge that makes him mysterious, and it really comes through in his playing. This is one of those songs that I mean right here....................

Steve Via with Roland Vg-8 Guitar Synth. That bastard! :p

Thanks again, rbw. Oh yeah... I really like the feel of the Ibanez neck. More what I am used to. I have played many different guitars. I also like the rounder fender type necks, but I have a hard time swicthing back and forth, so I stick with Ibanez.

Fangar

Just to add something. Not that it is not kinda squashed, but I went and listened the my posted .mp3's on nowhere again. They sound way more squashed than the originals. I think when I encode them then upload them, the shape is changed dramtically. Just something I noticed. Another thing I notice is that Windows ME media player adds some serious Low end and frrrrrrrrrttttt to things. If I play the files through ACID or Vegas, they sound fine. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Fangar

Frank 2010,

Cool tune, I think mixmkr nailed it with the comments about monoish etc....... that being said, NICE PLAYING, them some serious leads around 4min......good stuff.

Tears,

Dude, you whale! The sound is a bit better on this one as pointed out, but both are a bit dark in the sound quality. You play some mean guitar for sure. Yeah..... this is a good tune, I liked both of these.

cool tunes....makes me realize that I need guitar lessons.

later:cool:

B

I didn't look at any of the posts, not to be tainted, so here goes:

Frank2010: The drums sounded a little too distant for me. Other than that, the drum sound is pretty good, although I don't know it's heavy enough when the heavy metal part kicks in. Also, it could be a good idea to double track the guitars. Some of the riffing reminded of my own songs, which I don't if it's a good or a bad thing :) The doomy vocals were a bit comical, maybe they were meant that way. The song sounds kinda weird. On the other hand it has these nice funky uplifting elements, and then it has this heavy metal part with growling vocals. I'm not sure it is working, unless you were looking for an unusual combination or shock value or something. Good ideas, but not sure if they all fit together. Maybe you should lose the heavy metal part here. Mind you, it's good stuff, but doesn't really fit the song, at least for me. You definately fit the alternative genre with this one.

Tears: I like the clean guitars. And again, it would sound better with more panning space, and not put everything in the middle. The soft drum sound certainly fit this song good, at least on the mellower parts. Very very good playing on the solos, dude. The heavy riffs here remind me of Megadeth or similar stuff. Here, the combination of different genres works better, since the heavy metal type stuff mixes better with a minor dominant chords, as opposed to the funky jazzy stuff on the Frank2010 song.

Overall, very good, soulful playing on both of these. I couldn't play as good as you, that's for sure. I don't want to rate songs, but I'll say, that I liked Tears a lot, and also Frank2010, although the growling heavy part doesn't belong there.

Both tunes are oh so cool. I agree on Frank 2010, the bass is a bit muddy. You used the soundFX to good effect. Good changes. Nice lead playing.
Tears, I liked it all the way around.:cool:

Re: Re: Sounds like Satch

Fangar said:

Thanks for the listen. I am familiar with that song. Satriani is another hero, though something about VAI makes me more furious. I think Vai has that odd edge that makes him mysterious, and it really comes through in his playing. This is one of those songs that I mean right here....................

Steve Via with Roland Vg-8 Guitar Synth. That bastard! :p
Fangar

That Via tune was excellent, where did it come from? The mp3 says Misfits/Paul Hanson....

Re: Re: Re: Sounds like Satch

B.SABBATH said:

That Via tune was excellent, where did it come from? The mp3 says Misfits/Paul Hanson....

Came from a Roland Web Site for the demo of the VG-8 Guitar synth. I saw the reference to Misfit's / Paul hansen. For some reason, all of those clips on the page had that. No mistake though, that was 100% VAI.

Track Rat - Thanks for the props. I agree whole heartedly about the bass thing. I am in the market for a BASS DI. Gonna check out the Sansamp. I will get something soon, and redo the bass tracks. Also, on Frank I will double up on the rhythm track much like I did in Tears. By the way the song is called "Tears of the Fertility Worm". I was so twisted when I was in Highschool. Sorry.

Cranky - Thanks for the less than "cranky" review. That was cool of you to listen and reply before reading the other posts. I get what you are saying about the various different genres all melded together. I often do that. For me, unless I write stuff with vocals, I think that the changing terrain gives a listener something to hear instead of the same riff this way and that. Sort of a pot Pouri. I do appreciate the vantage though. I noticed the mention of "Funky Jazzy" in Frank... Which by the way is called "Frank the Potato Man" (Sort of a super hero with no real powers I guess :p ). That was the weird, unusual combo that i was looking for. Take those goofy voice samples for what you will. That was an ACID (Sonic Foundry) attack.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to listen and reply. Your trained ears brought us all to our same conclusions. I will fiddle around with the bass, mono issues and re-post them. That is if I can get any time away from work. Damn this life thing takes up a lot of time.

Cheers,
Fangar

Fangar, the mp3's are NOT re-encoded on hi-fi, but are (obviously) re-encoded for lo-fi. There is no other way to make a lo-fi playback.

If you are listening on hi-fi, you are listening to the original mp3 that was uploaded.

W.

Thanks for the info Waldo,

Yeah, I getcha on this. I think they get smooshed when I am encoding them to .mp3. Should have been more clear that the smooshing is on my end. The original (.wav) files are much roomier and sound quite a bit different. Hey by the way, you got an email? I wanna drop you some info.

Fangar

Back