A couple of questions

MrSavaroth

Hello,

I have only just registered here at HomeRecording hoping to learn something, so here are some questions that I currently have:

1. Why is it that when listening to a recording, mainly guitars, they sound amazing and full, and when I try to record a guitar directly (guitar > mixer > interface > amp simulation > headphones) it sounds sort of thing and not very powerful at all?

I tried this over at a friend's place, he has monitors instead of headphones, and the guitars sound amazing, even when I record my own guitar there. What I don't understand is; when he exports the wave file with the guitar sim, it sounds good, even on my headphones, but direct guitar sounds thin and dirty on my setup.

2. What happens during the process of exporting? I noticed that sometimes an export completely changes the sound of a mix?

3. Does guitar simulation / cab simulation work better on studio monitors? I intend on getting a set of KRK RP2s, but I want to make sure that it will actually help me out in getting a better sound when mixing guitars.

The current gear that I have is:

Tapco/Mackie Blend 6 mixer
RME HSDP 9632 interface
Ibanez guitar
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Headphones

Hopefully this is not too confusing, I can elaborate if needed,

Thank you in advance.

I can elaborate if needed...

Elaborate.

There are a lot of variables, and without knowing very specifc details (mic, pres, techmiques, settings, etc)...it's hard to say why your guitar doesn't record as you would expect it and like it.

Exporting alone isn't the issue...unless you went from a high-end WAV file format to like, the lowest, crappiest MP3 file format.
I'm guessing it's more to do with your recording SOP.

Thank you miroslav for your reaction.

The mic pres that I use, are the ones in my Tapco mixer; I was only able to find that they are designed and made by Mackie, other than that, I have no information on them. I do not use a mic at the moment, since I plug my guitar directly into my mixer, and use Amp and Cab simulation from that point onwards. I have tried sample rates from 44.1Khz all the way up to 192Khz, to see whether that would change anything, and while there is a difference in sound, it doesn't give me what I am looking for.

- I use software called Samplitude, and I use their integrated amp and cab sim called "Vandal"

- On my mixer, I turn the gain up until the LED starts lighting up to indicate that the level is correct, and I check the input on my interface to make sure that it sits around the -10db level.

I can also provide you with my "Vandal" settings if you would like, just let me know, and I will write them down!

Very much appreciate your input, if there is anything else I should add, please let me know.

Thank you miroslav for your reaction.

The mic pres that I use, are the ones in my Tapco mixer; I was only able to find that they are designed and made by Mackie, other than that, I have no information on them. I do not use a mic at the moment, since I plug my guitar directly into my mixer, and use Amp and Cab simulation from that point onwards. I have tried sample rates from 44.1Khz all the way up to 192Khz, to see whether that would change anything, and while there is a difference in sound, it doesn't give me what I am looking for.

- I use software called Samplitude, and I use their integrated amp and cab sim called "Vandal"

- On my mixer, I turn the gain up until the LED starts lighting up to indicate that the level is correct, and I check the input on my interface to make sure that it sits around the -10db level.

I can also provide you with my "Vandal" settings if you would like, just let me know, and I will write them down!

Very much appreciate your input, if there is anything else I should add, please let me know.

What is 'your setup'? What is your friends monitors?

Using amp sims, is a constant struggle for good tone. In my experience, unless it is a clean tone, you will never find what a real 'mic'd' amp will obtain. And by that, I don't mean any amp. One that produces the sound you wish to record..

There is much time/money involved in finding your own personal tone. Some can make a sim sound close to what they can get by with. But, nothing will ever sound like the real deal. And even when you think you have the right tone, you need to fine tune mic placement in a room that works for it.

It sounds a bit daunting, and it is not easy. You just have to experiment with what you have available to you. Then try something else...

Yeah....if you're stuck with sims, I'm not going to be of much help, as I'm strictly an amp/cab/mic guy.
Basically....you're just going to have to work to dial in the sims to your liking. I would also try using monitors instead of phones.
I have to use phones when I track guitar because my studio is all one space, so I can't run monitors while recording with mics....but, I always listen to the playback on the monitors....though I've gotten used to the sound of my cans, so I know how the guitar should sound in them VS the monitors.

Bottom line....when I get the tone in the room....I'm usually set with it. You're never hearing anything in the room...not the guitar and not the playback.

AFA using Samplitude....that happens to be my go-to DAW....:cool:...been using it for about 12 years now.
One of the better DAW apps out there, IMO.
Do you hang on the Magix/Samplitude forums ever? I also use my name "miroslav" over there.
I have Vandal installed with ProX...but I just don't use that stuff, since like I said, I'm mostly an amp/cab/mic guy.

Thank you for the input :)

@Jimmys69:

Tapco/Mackie Blend 6 mixer
RME HSDP 9632 interface
Ibanez guitar
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Headphones

Is what I have, and my friend uses the KRK RP6 monitors, from the Rokit line.

@miroslav:

I would love to be able to record my marshall and cab, but I simply cannot, because the neighbours would probably kill me :P So I want to make the best of my current situation :) I am definitely planning on getting a set of monitors, probably KRKs as well, since they will fit my budget.

Samplitude is great, love the way it works. I do not have a lot of experience with it, but my friend told me to try it out (he has also been using it for years) I haven't visited the Samplitude forums yet, I'll make sure to check it out!

Thanks again guys, appreciate it!

Back