A couple of questions about foam

Canobliss

1) Aurales etc usually make there foam with either the shingle or egg crate style design thus the foam is thicker in some place and thinner in others. They say this is for broadband absorption but wouldn't a piece that was two inches thich everywhere do a better job at accomplishing this?

2) Now that i have built my own panels out of 703, i have a lot of foam which i dont really need. It would actually look pretty cool if I attached it to the front of the fiberglass panels. How beneficial would this be for absorption purposes? should i just give it to a friend or sell the stuff for a few bucks?

3) I hate foam.

They say this is for broadband absorption but wouldn't a piece that was two inches thich everywhere do a better job at accomplishing this?
You would have to lab test a large piece of Auralux foam against the absorption coeffecient for their sculpted panels. However, I doubt if you could get a piece of their foam in plain panels, I don't know for sure though. Have you checked their Products list? If they do, there probably is a published performance rating somewhere. Compare them. With sculpting, I beleive the intended point is addressing the "angle of incidence" and "edge effect" aspects of absorption material. At certain frequencies, there is a diffraction effect along perpendicular surfaces, which if I understand correctly, adds a certain amout of absorption value to a coeffiecnt. Whether or not it influences the actual absorption, which by way of testing before and after sculting is the only way to know for sure, I don't really know.
However, a well known acoustician suggested that sculpting did little, and implied that removal of material is simply reducing the depth of the foam which translates into the corresponding 1/4 wavelengths are absorbed. In other words, its bandwidth "performance". If a pyramid is 4" at the POINT, and 1/2" in the valleys, theoreticallly defining the frequency range of 1/4" wavelengths. Or its bandwidth...supposedly ;) If you look at a pyramid in that respect, only POINTS whcih are 4" thick. Not much square footage of POINTS :eek: Actually, there is more material removed than is there :eek: :D But their TESTED and published results are listed on their site. The absorption coeffecients speak for themself. Compare them with mineral wools and or rigid fiberglass. Then compare the price. I'm sure you will see why rigid fiberglass is recommended here by a lot of people!! :D Compare absorption performance and see for yourself.
But there is one more thing involved here, which you can utilize if you understand it. Actual placement patterns can take advantage of known phenomena that increase the overall absorption in the room. This phenomena is well known, and is called the "edge effect". There is an ongoing discussion in regards to the actual cause of this absorption increase. There are various schools of thought. You can read about it here. Other schools of thought also exist on the subject. although I'm no expert. I ask a lot of questions myself though :D
http://www.realtraps.com/art_measure.htm

Another aspect of performance is placement across corners, or cutting a panel into diagonals, and stacking them into corners to increase low frequency absorption.. or basstrapping. The corners are where room modal resonaces terminate, and reflect and occilate. The depth of these corner absorbers work especially well when diagonal panels are stacked in "superchunk" form. Auralux was kind enough to sponser some various lab tests, with their corner products, stacked rigid fiberglass, Real Traps products and another type which I don't remember. These tests confimed what was already known by ears alone. That indeed, all these products performed well in corners, and results were posted on an acoustics web site. I don't have that link anymore though. Although, some were better than others, rigid fiberglass performed excellent as a lowfrequency "trap".

fitZ

Actually, from a fire standpoint, foam can be just as good or just as bad as anything else. Good foams like Auralex are appropriately treated and fire rated. Cheaper stuff may or may not be.

Covering OC703 in Muslin is very popular, cost effective, and performs well. Without appropriate fire retardant treatment, it will go up just as fast as untreated foam (not the 703, the Muslin).

Bryan,

> from a fire standpoint, foam can be just as good or just as bad as anything else. <

Not so. Products made from rigid fiberglass will be Class A fire rated assuming the rest of the panel is made properly. Auralex's standard foam is class B and there's a big difference. Auralex does have a Class A foam you can special order, but that costs even more than the panels my company sells. And it's still foam.

> Muslin ... will go up just as fast as untreated foam <

That too misses the most important point. A foam panel is solid foam. Some folks euphemistically refer to untreated foam as "solid gasoline" - as in the Great White fire in Rhode Island. But Muslin and other fabric coverings are thin and have little mass. So they burn and disintegrate quickly with little smoke and just a brief flash of flame.

--Ethan

Understood Ethan. Thanks for the clarification. I was not aware that the Auralex foam was not Class A rated.

I guess my whole point was that just because it's foam doesn't mean it's automatically a fire trap. Sure UNTREATED foam can be a problem. So can untreated cloth.

And if you think that untreated Muslin isn't a problem, ever seen a fire safety video where untreated curtains catch on fire? That's listed as one of the fastest ways for a fire to spread.

Back