A couple of general questions..

mattfrye14

1) what are virtual tracks???

2) with the VF-80..would i be able to plug my eletric guitar directly into the thing and record, w/o putting it through a direct box or an amp???

1) Each "real" track has tracks within them called Virtual Tracks. So, if track 5 is a track for your guitar solo or something, you can record multiple takes without deleting your other ideas. It stores the other takes on virtual tracks, which aren't played during playback. Once you have recorded different takes trying different things, you can choose one for the final mix. Or, you can take different chunks of each vitrual track to create the final track. I hope that isn't confussing. There is probably a more thorough explanation in your owner's manual.

2) Yes. You just use the 1/4" jack on one of the two channels to plug your guitar into.

so to use it i wouldnt need to buy an amp??? (unless i decided to mic it?)...and could i put my guitars through effect pedals and then into the recorder and get the effects?

also how easy is it to copy and paste??? like if i wanted a riff to play for 4 measures, but wanted to play it once then copy and paste so it is perfect

Do you have the VF-80 now? You can input a guitar (no amp, no effects if you don't want them) right into the unbalanced 1/4" input right below the XLR inputs. The signal sounds bland because at this point the signal isn't really processed yet. The beauty of the VF-80, is it has guitar effects and amp modeling, you can apply these during or after recording. You can get by without an amp, but I personally like the sound I get with a miked amp (but it's your preference). Copying and pasting is pretty easy. Do you have the VF-80 yet? The owner's manual will be able to explain this better than I can. If you're still thinking of buying the VF-80, their web site has the owner's manual available for download (www.fostex.com). Also, you CAN use effects without using an amp when plugging into the VF-80.

Hope this helps, and good luck, it's really a good unit for just under $600.

Back