A Couple Country Tunes

Beautifully thick and clear recordings (I listened to both tunes and had no problems streaming them both) Loved the piano in "Your Grand Slam". One criticism: The lead male vocal sounded a little shaky at times....kinda like overly cautious in the performance or something...maybe a little nervousness? Anyway, good songs and nicely done!

Thanks for your comments Mac2. I would agree about the male vocal (me) I always seem to get a little tense when singing . BTW
these songs were done with very minimal equipment. MD8, Fx1,Nano Comp. SM58, SM57, Thanks again for listening.

Hey Mac2; I just listened to Guitar Song- great song . How did you get that sparkle on the acoustics? Drums sound good too.

Godin Acousticaster on the lead and fills...and an old Yamaha acoustic for the rhythm parts;)

The Godin was lined straight in and if I remember correctly (it's been a while...) we used a Markley pick-up and a mic to record the acoustic.

Thanks for checkin' out The Guitar Song:)

You guys play well together. I like the recording quality. The rhythm guitars and pedal steel sound really good.

The lead vocal on "grand slam" sounds a little hesitant, but maybe that's just the style of singing that you are trying to achieve.

As far as the mix, the instruments are a little out of balance. The bass and drums sound a little too far back for my taste, but that's a matter of opinion.

Overall a nice, clear, clean country sound.

--Rob

www.mp3.com/robsmusic

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God"...Lou Bascaglia

Thanks for your comments Rob. Are you refering to "I Only Lie" about the bass and drums being a little back in the mix? I`m still kinda playing with that one and I thought the bass was a little weak. I`m always afraid of bottom end taking over the mix. Thanks again for listening, your comments are wecome and appreciated.

Tom

Hello
I must say that your tracking, mix, writing and playing is superb.
I might agree with the hesitance in a vocal line here and there but, style is style.
The only place for me to suggest is in the arena of producer.
OOH! He said it!

"I ONLY LIE" is a great song. why not stretch out the arrangment? As the arrangment sounds now, it is perfect for solo acoustic performances. On the full band version(the one I listened to) what do you think of a simple once over of the progession with a git solo? Fill the sucker out and add a bit of dynamics to the arrangment itself.
Just a thought. The tune is solid as it stands.

On "Grand Slam" I was hurting to hear a fuller back-up vocal (maybe female) with alot of unleashed emotion. Again, on this one, I was for want of git fills and gut reenforcment.

I love the recording quality and I wouldn't have spent the time downloading the second song if I didn't like your lyrics and voice.
Just thought I'd let you know what popped in my head as far as suggestions.

Peace
Theron

theron; Thanks so much for your input on these tunes. I would agree about the back up harmony on Grand Slam. That person singing backup is the legendary Johnny Burke . A female vocal would be a good thing here. What is your opinion about bass and drums on I Only Lie? I keep having thoughts about them not being up front enough. Having said that I dont want them too agressive either. Thanks again for your reply. .................... Tom

Hey,
First of all, I don't have the most receptive or sentient ear around (which you will quickly learn if you listen to my mix on this forum) but, I'll give ya my input anyway.
I think the mix if fortified as it is. The bass is sitting nice and doesn"t crowd any low end git fills. The drums sound nice. Maybe a bit crisper and hotter on the snare and mid range of the kit. However, I wouldn't have heard or commented as such without you're promt.

Also, you've stated that you're a traditional country band. On the few trad country c.d. and albums I have I think the low end of the songs is kinda in the back and not fully pumping like the most recent recordings. I like Hank williams jr and listen to his "greatist hits vol 1" alot. W. Jennings too. It was the tendancy to record in this fashion as far as I can tell.
So, you might have a pre-dispositions to do the same in accordance with your influences and favorite recordings.
The newest country cd I have is Hank III risin outlaw(HWJ"s kid) and I can definitly notice a difference in recording and production. Much punchier.
Still, I will reitterate that I'm an ignorant cus and these are simple thoughts born of a simple understanding.
Peace
Theron

Nice songs. Nice vocals.

It's that slide that won me over.

Both of 'em sounded a little harsh, mix-wise but I guess that was just the tape machine's limitations. I know an old-timer (successfully recording traditional country in the past) from Newfoundland that lives local that is quite a country picker in his own right. He's got duelin' TSR-8s... This mix shows alot of the same mixing style.

Well buy god I know a couple of guys too from newfy. Roy Penny for one! Myjeezzus you!! Where are you from drsrawl? Thanks again for your input. And theron- You guys help make this thing easeir than it is . Thanks so much for your input. It is a pleasure to make music with you guys.................... Tom

Back