A couple analog questions

needledrop

Hello All,
Just a couple of questions I've been meaning to ask my well informed brethren.

First, I just bought a couple reels if Ampex 456 unopened, whats the best way to store these reels since I wont be using it for a few months. Also, Is there any way to date a reel?

Secondly, I've been using Rat shack Head cleaner, but its getting harder to find and is kinda expensive. Can I just use isopropyl alcohol, or denatured alcohol instead?
Thanks.

oops, guess thats 3!

Hello All,
First, I just bought a couple reels if Ampex 456 unopened, whats the best way to store these reels since I wont be using it for a few months.
In the trash. Um, I mean, find out what year it was made, and then decide. I say this only half in jest - be aware that if it's pre-1995, it is probably best to chuck the tape out and keep the metal reels as it probably has the sticky-shed problem.

Also, Is there any way to date a reel?
With Ampex, find the serial number. It's a 5-digit number on the box, e.g. 92070. The first two digits are the year, in this case 1992 (bad).
With Quantegy, the first four digits are the year, e.g. 2002218 (good).

As for proper tape storage, I think it is supposed to be kept in a climate-controlled cupboard. I don't have one of those, though - I just keep them on a shelf in my studio area.
The tape should be put vertically on the shelf like books - if they are laid flat and stacked, you are liable to have edge damage on the bottom side of the tape.

Before storing the tape "PLAY IT BACK" instead of rewinding, to avoid the BAD as shown.
See pictures:

Attachments

• tape_wind_bad.jpg
    tape_wind_bad.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 53
  • tape_wind_good.jpg
    tape_wind_good.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 53
Then put the reel in the plastic bag and in the box and store the boxes like holy books of prophets on the bookshelf (good), but not like a pile of junk-mail under the desk (bad),
and , well, try to avoid magnetic fields and extreme weather as much as possible :) :

Attachments

• tape_store_bad.jpg
    tape_store_bad.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 51
  • tape_store_good.jpg
    tape_store_good.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 50
91% Alcohol is an excellent head-cleaner

If you go the isopropyl alcohol route make sure it is "anhydrous" (water-free). It will say "Anhydrous" on the label. If it doesn't, check to see what it says in the ingredients. If it says "inactive ingredients: water" or something like that, don't use it. 99% is even better than the 91%, but it is harder to find and, again, make sure it is water-free.

Beck is a devoted denatured alcohol user for his cleaning needs. All "denatured" means is that it has an ingredient added to make it unfit for human consumption as the alcohol in denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol, the drinkin' kind. The additive could be isopropyl alcohol, or some other toxic mineral spirits. Beck indicates that denatured alcohol is a better choice over the isopropyl alcohol, and at some point he indicated he was going to post some links to clarify that.

Beck, if you read this, could you get something up about the denatured alcohol? I know I'm still curious about what would be the best to use.

Also, consider using cotton makeup remover pads to clean your heads and tape path. Cjacek got me using them and they work really good. Make sure they are the 100% cotton variety and have sort of a quilted appearance. They hold together better (i.e. lint-free). Much easier to use these than the cotton swabs for cleaning guides and such. Cheaper too.

Is it really pre 1995 Ampex tapes that are bad?

The first two digits of the serial numbers on my Ampex 457 tapes are all 03, yet they still cover my heads in oxide within 10 minutes.

Is it really pre 1995 Ampex tapes that are bad?

The first two digits of the serial numbers on my Ampex 457 tapes are all 03, yet they still cover my heads in oxide within 10 minutes.

What is the entire string of numbers and what is the address on the back of the box?

---

Hmmm. The number is 92, I guess thats bad. Is there any possibility that they may be good?
I have a couple of pre-1995 tapes that were good last I checked. However, I also have a 1/2" test tape on 406 (IIRC) which coated the machine with white gunk when I tried to play it.
So it seems to be the luck of the draw, but personally I wouldn't want to risk it.

There is also a separate failure mode where the tape doesn't shed at all, yet somehow clings to the transport very slightly, causing it to auto-shut off. I had some 1993 tape do that when testing a new machine that I didn't trust with masters yet.

What is the entire string of numbers and what is the address on the back of the box?

---

There is a label on the cellophane wrapper reading:

AMP 1/4-457-7" TT
*Prices..*
# 000071 03A8-31

From 401 Broadway. Redwood City, CA. 94063

There is a label on the cellophane wrapper reading:

AMP 1/4-457-7" TT
*Prices..*
# 000071 03A8-31

From 401 Broadway. Redwood City, CA. 94063

Redwood City. That's pre Quantegy. Your tape has the bad binder. I personally wouldn't use it. If the address was Opelika, Alabama then that's the good stuff.

----

Back