a country song

Theron, thanks. I think I'm starting to realize that years of live playing have taken their toll on my sensitivity to high-end sounds. What might be happening is that when I mix guitars like the fill on this song, I'm mixing to my own loss of hearing in the upper registers.
I hope that's not the case, but these 51 year-old ears might just have some battle damage.

Mark

I really liked this song.
Your voice has a fine quality to it.

How did you record the guitars,mabey someone can give you some ideas.

Sounds to me like the snare is a bit to loud.

Enjoyed it very much!

Best to you,
Pete

Pete, thanks! Guitars were recorded direct, using edited COSM patches. It's convenient to work late at night like that, but I know tone suffers. I'd be obliged for any advice there.
As for the snare, all the drums are on one track, so any eq or effect is universal. I could bring the whole kit down a bit. One nice thing, I can import drum loops, and discretedrums is issuing a couple of cd's for the 1180. I think they're going to have each sound on its own track, which will help immensely.

Thanks to all of you for the informed criticism and the kind words.

Mark

mkg,

I have the same problem,I usually record at night.

The only thing I found that helps with the rythym guitar is to play it twice and pan it stereo.

As far as lead,can't help you there.
I'm still trying to get a good lead sound out of my J station.
It has some decent sounds,but never loud or full enough.
Mabey some of the good players around here can offer advice.

Best to you,
Pete

I love the song. Very nice lyrical ideas and I love the guitar work.

The recording is certainly good as a demo of the song. It's not anything like what anyone in Nashville would be interested in.

Your song has a certain humorous innocence that is just catchy. Good songwriting job. Maybe you could get Cletus T. Judd to do your song. Maybe Nashville could take it as a novelty song. Thanks for sharing.

Pete, good idea about doubling rhythm guitar...that would definitely fatten it up.

Ozraves, thanks very much. In an earlier post Guernica mentioned that it reminded him of X, which sure ain't Nashville. I put it under 'country' on nowhereradio because I didn't know where else it should go.
Cletus Judd, eh? That would be a trip!

Mark

Nice tune....definately wouldn't class it as country though...more 'acoustic rock'. Intro has a kinda Beatles / Marc Cohen type feel. Come to think of it listening to it now, very Marc Cohen....

You should have a blast at encoding the MP3 a little better, as it is making the guitar sound thinner than it allready is....(see one of my earlier threads...)

Agree(ish) with some of the other comments.. The guitar is overpowering the tune somewhat, and as Your playing the same tune on the lead all the way through, you cant hear the difference between the chorus and the small lead solo. Two ways of sorting that are to either simplify the playing during the singing, and then go balls out during the solo, or push the lead over to one side during the singing, and then banging it back centre during the solo.

Im not sure if double tracking it would help. Maybe try sticking some 'stereo space' on it using a stereo enhancer, or a widener.

Love the drum souond...very raw....but I cant really hear the bass guitar...(again mp3 quality ,may be thinning that out.)

As for your voice, you got a real 'Jagger'ish tone there..v nice, be nice to hear it a little fuller and up front....

Good job though, nicely rounded song, adn all those points ^ are really minor....

Peace.

Nick, thanks very much. Panning the lead is an excellent suggestion. Maybe I can eq the bass a bit. A friend has added some steel guitar, which I'll get to hear shortly. I'd just as soon replace the lead (fill) guitar with pedal steel, might sweeten it up a bit.
The drums are the HipHop kit on the 1180. Weak kick but nice snare. Got some discretedrums discs coming, their sounds are very nice.
Thanks for listening and suggestions.

Mark

Back