A BUS question? Or what?

11miles

I started writing this thread but before osting it i read it and realized i was not making any sense!

So i will try to be more clear.

I have an external FX on a vocal track. An mindpirnt, Envoice's channel strip. Really like the new ''colored'' track better.
But i would liek t record it somehow! Not Mixdown it in real time, but record it. How can i route the signal of the vocal track so i would record it in nuendo session.
Can this be done!

In PT i use BUSSES, but i realize that nuendo and PT have the same words for a slightly different things.
example:
I have vocal track on one audio track. I insert some external FX, from outboard, letsay a compressor.
But i woudl liek to use the new vocal track the compressed one.
So i send it to a bus (imaginry, not the one with pshysical output) I then make a new audio track mute it, rute its input and ouput to that bus and press record!
And voila, i have the new compressed .wav in the project!
Its good for numerous resaons, especially for backing or if you have a lame DAW, and you need the CPU!

So my question is how can that be done (routing) in Nuendo, and i know it can be done with the audio mixdown.
I would just like to think there is another way than to mix it down, and then importing the wav back into the project!

Assuming you have enough inputs and outputs on your system, set up a bus for the track you want to effect. The bus should correspond to an output on your interface send that to your effect and return it to an input on your interface record and you're done. Make sure you're monitoring either from input or output but not from your hardwares "mixer" or you will get a feedback loop.

No GO!
i ve been waiting a long tiem for steinberg to come up with an external fx feature. So i insert an external FX.
Route it to a hardwares output to the effect and then back...., would not make it any easier! That would be a step down would not you agree?
You have some kind of latency, right?

HAving some kind of ''imaginary'' bus in nuendo would help. Like Logic and PT have!
By imaginary i mean something that doesnt prerequisite hardwares input or output.

I could offcourse route it to hardwares output and then straight away back into another input, but that would be nonsense!

Strange, how no one thought of that!
I am mixing it down and then importing it to my project but that is not what i wanted!

I don't have any kind of latency. This is the way most people do it with Audacity, Logic, Cubase. There's nothing unusual about this. If you absolutely need to route your mic thru an external compressor just plug the mic into a pre then the compressor and then into your interface. Simple. Assuming you have some sort of patch bay setting up a compressor should be easy. Even if you don't it's not rocket science. You want to get the best signal to disk anyway. What interface are you using?

Are you using version 2.x or 3.x? This is significant, as in version 3, Cubase/Nuendo brought in integrated hardware routing, which directly addresses how you do this very thing. If you are using version 3, as I understand it (I'm using Cubase SX2), Nuendo/Cubase treats hardware units the same way it does plug-ins. It will ping your hardware, and calculate the latency, and will basically treat this value the same way it does the "plug-in delay compensation."

Chris

i agree on latency!
Am using nuendo 3 and rme fireface!
I do not have any problems with latency!

I jsut thought there is an optionto record your mix directly into nuendo project!
Not mxdown and not record it through outputs of yor hardware!

11miles said:
I jsut thought there is an optionto record your mix directly into nuendo project!

There is, but it works differently than in PT. If I understand correctly in PT you create some audio track and then specify its input as one of the busses in the PT mixer?

In Cubase it's much, much simpler... Take a closer look at the Export->Audio Mixdown dialog box. In there, by default your output is the master channel. However, this is a drop down menu. If you click on it, you'll see that you can select any of the other track in Cubase: individual audio channels, group channels, FX channels, VSTi output channels. Once you've made the appropriate selection, then click on the checkbox next to "Audio Track". You'll notice that the "Pool" checkbox gets checked automatically. Now, make sure that you've set the bit and sample rate the same as your main project, name the file, make sure you're saving it in the appropriate folder (probably the Audio folder of your project) and hit Save. Once it's done, you'll notice a new track at the bottom of the project window. DONE! It's actually much simpler than this explanation makes it sound.

Exactly like Noisewreck said, and if you need to run the audio in realtime to facilitate the use of external hardware processors, there is a check-box just below the outputs drop-down list, that allows you to do so (as well as a check-box for graphically updating the project window while bouncing this way (To assure you everything is going according to plan)).

Glad they had the foresight to make it realtime by default (I speak from the SX2 point-of-view, and don't have no fang-dangled plugins for my external gear).

Back