A bunch of interfaces

I don't know how well multiple Focusrite drivers work but I do know that RME devices are intended to be used in multiples. For example, you can use up to 3 Digiface USB interfaces on one machine to give up to 96 inputs and 102 output channels.
Can I refer m' learned friend to my post #4?

Re "sync"? I see the 18i20s have S/PDIF as well as ADAT and assuming they will work together, one interface can be the 'clock' and the other two take S/PDIF from that. This is how multiple M-A 2496 cards worked.

Dave.

Shouldn't be any need. OP can specify clock source in the OS and all should be well.
How does that get communicated then? As I understand things, each interface will run at say 48kHz plus or minus a few parts per million and will drift slightly over time.

Dave.

They're all connected to the same computer and the computer handles it.
User can choose the device they want as the clock source, and tick 'drift correction'.

So the real problem was you thought it might not work, but didn’t try? Have faith!
seriously though digital silence is a pretty good test actually, because the lack of audio reveals all sorts. All the interfaces, preamps turned down gives you a waveform you can inspect for the system noise, and lack of digital spikes. Record like I did, a click from your daw and copy this to loads of tracks, and set each one to a different output, then see if the sync is good. If it is, get recording and see how it does.

im grateful you started the topic, even if you kept the critical bits a secret, because now I know my Mac will talk to all my current and old interfaces at the same time. Previous experiments made me assume two was my maximum, so now I know that’s wrong, so thanks.

So the real problem was you thought it might not work, but didn’t try? Have faith!
seriously though digital silence is a pretty good test actually, because the lack of audio reveals all sorts. All the interfaces, preamps turned down gives you a waveform you can inspect for the system noise, and lack of digital spikes. Record like I did, a click from your daw and copy this to loads of tracks, and set each one to a different output, then see if the sync is good. If it is, get recording and see how it does.

im grateful you started the topic, even if you kept the critical bits a secret, because now I know my Mac will talk to all my current and old interfaces at the same time. Previous experiments made me assume two was my maximum, so now I know that’s wrong, so thanks.
Haha well it wasn't working at all until I realized I had an unused USB port...felt like an idiot, spread the load, saw that it seemed to work, then started reading things online that scared me out of believing in myself lol. Seems everyone thinks the max is two 8-preamp interfaces...maybe aggregate devices are well-kept secret?

Possible. MacOS users are still the minority and I imagine those know use or know about aggregate devices are probably in the minority of MacOS users.
That means more times than not you're going to get a windows answer.

My only concern with your setup would be USB bandwidth, because we don't know what model of mac you have, but it's easy to test and find out if that'll be a problem.
If it is you still have the option of two by USB and two by adat, and just stay at 48k sample rate.

Either way I'd say you're set but please do let us know how you get on! (y)

I wonder why Focusrite don't flag this up in their manuals? In their interest, flog a ***t load more interfaces!

Also seems something Microsoft should have sorted long ago not to mention Steinberg.

Dave.

Possible. MacOS users are still the minority and I imagine those know use or know about aggregate devices are probably in the minority of MacOS users.
No they are not - just plug the units you want to use in - determine which one is going to be primary - and then add the Aggregate devices and Check the box -
It is super easy.

Also seems something Microsoft should have sorted long ago not to mention Steinberg.
I think Microsoft probably did sort it but no-one (apart from Cakewalk) wanted to use their system. So we're stuck with Steinberg's more primitive driver model for music use. Mind you, this is immaterial to the OP because they are on a Mac where multiple interfaces are no problem provided they are clocked from the same source.

Several years ago Akia marketed two interfaces (with VU meters!) and they sported a built in USB hub, can't remember if it was two or three ports? Anyway, that would surely have been a perfect opportunity to allow 'slaving' of extra interfaces?
No one ever thought of it though. The interfaces seem to have sunk from view over the years. I was going to buy one but A's support was so ***t I went for the NI KA6 instead. An excellent interface as it turned out.

Dave.

Several years ago Akia marketed two interfaces (with VU meters!) and they sported a built in USB hub, can't remember if it was two or three ports? Anyway, that would surely have been a perfect opportunity to allow 'slaving' of extra interfaces?
No one ever thought of it though.

If you buy an RME interface you can often use a second or third one of the same type with a single ASIO driver - one of the reasons why I would always suggest that serious users should go for RME.

I would assume you can do it by running one of the interfaces as a master, and the others as 'slaves' via the optical connections. Seems you would be better off having all of the interfaces in control room and run snake to tracking room.

I have a problem...I went a little crazy and got way too many things daisy-chained via USB (midi controlers, interfaces, hard drives) in my studio, including four focusrite 18i20s hoping to be able to get all 32 channels out of them. but I know it was wishful thinking since my 13-inch MacBook running logic won't be able to handle all the data, at least without massacring the sample rate. Online i can only find help with linking 2 via adat, but nothing about about linking 3 or 4 separate 8-channel interfaces. Given that I have I need at least 3 of the 18i20s for my current studio template (preferably all four and perhaps even more - i have a couple 2i4s connected to RCA switches and would love to be able to expand even more to accept individual channels from my analog board), what would be the cheapest way to make it work?? I really don't want to drop 2k on 32-channel live box with no manual gain adjustment, and I really feel attached to the setup I currently have with two of the 18i20s in the control room and 2 in the tracking room. Is there any way to consolidate the usb signal from the four interfaces and then bring it into the computer? If I I find a suitable slave computer could I use Vienna ensemble pro to spread the cpu load, and solve the issue that
I don't know how well multiple Focusrite drivers work but I do know that RME devices are intended to be used in multiples. For example, you can use up to 3 Digiface USB interfaces on one machine to give up to 96 inputs and 102 output channels.
It has always been my understanding that only Macs can run two or more sound cards at once, excepting the RME PCIe cards. Is that right? I've got an 18i20 collecting dust because I've got another one hooked up to a laptop that I carry around.

If you buy an RME interface you can often use a second or third one of the same type with a single ASIO driver - one of the reasons why I would always suggest that serious users should go for RME.
Yes indeed! I've got the Raydat with four ADAT interfaces, including a hot-rodded Behringer. The flexibility is astounding. 32 in and out, simultaneously, with endless routing capabilities.

Back