A Blue Moon revisited

JMarcomb

Hey ladies and gentleman

This was one of my first tunes I recorded when I first started home recording over a year ago.

Ive learned alot since then, so I meticulously went through the song removing all background noise and redid the bass track. I also took out some stuff and added just abit.

let me know what ya think,

thanks,

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1564/singles

Blue Moon

I rermember this one I think I still have the old version at work somewhere, will have to compare... one sujestion/question ... did try to match the delay on the guitars with tempo of the song...

This sounds realy good ... great guitar work... liked the fade out at the end... I realy have no complains, it's a solid piece of music and good quality recording...

cheers

One of my favorites of yours Jeff. I compared this to the original but honestly did not hear and difference. You must have very good ears. I 'd love to be able to record and get that polished result that you get.
But those subtle tones and beauty of your your playing finesse is out of my league. I can almost see those fingers of yours moving easily through this flowing almost effortlessly. It certainly comes through in the sound.

Peace
Bill

my favorite JM tune redone! totally sweet..

one of the main differences is that snare and I'm not sure I like it better.. it's a bit more abrasive now, but it's total preference.. It really does sound great as a whole and came at a good time!

Your's is the first to air on my new one way in wall speakers.

Man this is nice, low fi sounds like hifi, must download hifi must be awesome.

Not crazy about the drum machine, but what can you do.

Great guitar playing!!

GT

JM,

Downloaded hifi, WOW, the sound is incredible.

Now the big nit, the drums allmost ruin this tune, I mean this in a good way.

This tune is so good, the drums should be up to the same standard.

Maybe real congas, bongos, or anything but what you've got now.

Hope you don't mind, this critique.

GT

.......very nice Jeffy.
...Oh yeah. Nice man. ....and this is most definitely a JMarcomb classic. I think the small changes you made are gonna be more apparent to you than anyone else man. GREAT tune w/ lots to listen to. .......all of it good!
Oh, and .....ahem ..support you local homerec'er and buy this CD @ the other place. ...go to Jeffy's web-page for details........and excuse the shameless plug:D Spend the 11 bucks, you wont regret it........
.......btw: It gets my wife in the mood:D :D
gw/5

Fed

Hi Fed....
I did this song quite some time ago when I didnt even pay attention to the delay on the guitar.. so the guitar delay is way out of sinc with the guitar. There is also a huge amount of delay and reverb, kinda cloggs the mix. I could go back and redo eveything but I'll prob. just lose the original heat involved.

Thats really cool you still have the orginal version... I'll have to go back and compare myself... that would stink if the original sounded better! :)

wfaraoni

hi bill... thanks alot for listening to this. I spent about 6 hours going through each wave file removing humm and hiss in the acoustic tracks. At loud volumes all that background noise makes a song sound messy... I just hope some of the emotion wasnt lost by removing background noise. someday I just might redo the whole song ... :)

christiaan

Hey there.. I might listen to this song in 70 Sundays from now because I think I listened to it 1000 times trying to fix it :) Thanks for checking this out!

B.SABBATH

Hey sam
I did take out the old straight high hat hits... and I think I turned the drum volume up by accident. The prob. is back then I recorded the drum all on one track.... I just took your suggestion and went back and bounced each snare hit to its own track and panned to the right 8% and took a little volume off... it was a pain, but i think it sounds better now. anyways... im spending way too much time trying to tinker with this thing... I should just come back to it in 500 years.
thanks for ur time man!

GT

Nice to know I was the first on your speakers :) Im not too crazy about the drum machine either.. but I really didnt feel like going back to redo drums that have no sync to them... because I didnt know how to sync midi back then... oh well you live and ya learn... Thanks for checking in :)

Guernica

Happy Fathers day man! and thanks for the boast about the site. I think your right about being able to tell the details, but it feels good to go back to this and put some aquired knowledge to work!
Hope your first fathers day was a good 1! :)

thanks all

Excellent playing and writing! Only two things to crit. First, the drums seem to "there" at first, though they find a nice space in the track as it gets going. I'd ease them in. Second, the verb is pretty big. I know you are using it as part of the guitar sound, and its gorgeous and all, but I'd like to hear what it would sound like with less. Your playing is so strong anyway, I think it might let the listener focus even more on that aspect. You wring a great tone out of your acoustic. Enjoyed this a lot!

P.S. Fed--where have you been? Nice to see you hanging out here again.

Honestly...I really don't hear that much difference, and I've got two of your CDs....one bootleg:eek: and the one you sent me....which gets lots-o-listens when surfing:)

to me, it sounds like 'early-owner-days-Triton-drums'...or whatever. The sound...eh? you either like it or don't. They do sound very mono as compared to the lush stereo verbs and gtrs though. That bothers me more than the actual sound of the white noise snare and the thumpy kick drum. I'm getting to the point that instruments not sounding like "the real thing" doesnt bug me at all anymore. Kinda like the ac gtr on Samicides latest tune. ...fits just fine to me. No need to be a real deal Taylor or something like that.. It's just a different choice...eh? But, I think you already know that as evidenced by the drums sounds you've used on your other tunes as well.

Big and open, nice interplay among all the sounds. Very nice mood piece. I agree with mixmkr about the mono nature of the drums getting to me more than the actual drum sounds themselves, but it's not that big of a deal. My biggest complaint is you didn't gimme another nice big fat bass sound all by itself to steal as a sample :).

Back