A basic set up...

Artikulate

Ok, right now I have a dynamic mic that I plug into the mic input on my comp and record. Very simple.

I'm trying to move up and get my stuff to sound cleaner. I don't have any real knowledge of sound cards or any of that so explanations would be very helpful.

My question is what is EVERYTHING I would need for a better set up?

I know a condenser mic is a must, but could somebody explain everything else to me? What kind of preamps, phantom power, all the good stuff so that when everything arrives I'll be able to set it up and record? :confused:

If you're wanting to do computer based recording...get either a Presonus Firebox or M-Audio Firewire 410. Both have everything you need to get started. I prefer the M-Audio, as it has dual headphone outs. In your case, I'd go with the Presonus as it has software included. I'd probably get a good condenser mic too. Samson, Marshall, and Behringer all make good starters.

Cubase LE comes with the Presonus model. Software is not included with the M-Audio. Both have Phantom power and decent pre's. The firewire stuff has a faster transfer rate than USB or USB 2.0, so you won't experience latency issues if you stick with Firewire connections...I'd play live with mine.

I have obtained pretty much a basic starting setup that gets the job done for me.

You will need a sound card , a mic preamp with phantom power since you want a condenser mic , obviously a mic ,and some recording software.

(a condenser mic doesnt necessarily do any better than a dynamic. a mic is suited for certain applications so its hard to say that any one is better than another.)

I have an M-audio Audiophile 2496 sound card , M-audio Audio Buddy preamp which enables the use of condenser mics(because it has phantom power), MXL 990 and 991 mics , and Adobe Audition 1.5.

I pretty much have the bare minimum but that should give an idea of the essentials to starting a home studio. There is many other questions that people will seek to answer your question better. ex. what do you want to record? or How many inputs are you going to need ? etc.

you can get a soundcard and preamp in one. killing two birds with one stone.
you can get mics to suit your applications.
theres many variables that will apply to make a good choice on your purchases. take the time to learn them before you buy something you dont want or need.

I have obtained pretty much a basic starting setup that gets the job done for me.

You will need a sound card , a mic preamp with phantom power since you want a condenser mic , obviously a mic ,and some recording software.

(a condenser mic doesnt necessarily do any better than a dynamic. a mic is suited for certain applications so its hard to say that any one is better than another.)

I have an M-audio Audiophile 2496 sound card , M-audio Audio Buddy preamp which enables the use of condenser mics(because it has phantom power), MXL 990 and 991 mics , and Adobe Audition 1.5.

I pretty much have the bare minimum but that should give an idea of the essentials to starting a home studio. There is many other questions that people will seek to answer your question better. ex. what do you want to record? or How many inputs are you going to need ? etc.

you can get a soundcard and preamp in one. killing two birds with one stone.
you can get mics to suit your applications.
theres many variables that will apply to make a good choice on your purchases. take the time to learn them before you buy something you dont want or need

Is there a way for me to determine what kind of Soundcard I have right now?

Ill assume youre on Windows XP as your operating system. So go to Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > then click the audio or voice tab and in theyre you'll see your sound card.

It may be a Realtek or Soundblaster , those are commonly found in average user pc's. Upgrading is dependent on whether or not you think you need it. I had a Realtek AC'97 sound card before i upgraded. I could hear a bit of the difference between that and my new one. It converts the analog signal to digital better than my old one did.

Hopefully that helped a little bit?

Sound & Audio Devices leads to

-Adjust the system volume
-Change sound scheme
-Change speaker settings

or pick Control Panel icon

Portable Media Devices
Sound & Audio Devices
Speech

Which should I go to?
(btw yes I do have a windows xp)

Back