A band I'm recording..

geet73

OMG!

Here's a song they just finished today. The instruments were done live and the vocals were done later. I know there's a fan in the background.. they said they liked the contrast of the mechanical sound to the feel of the song, though.

It's two acoustic guitars and a mandola. I mic'd one guitar with an SPB1 and the mandola and other guitar with MXL 991s. Vocals were through the B1. The pres were the ones on a Behringer DDX3216.

Any critiques?

Very good recording. Vocals are nice and clear. Maybe drop the vocal volume a little, as they seem a bit loud compared to the instruments. Might just be me, but that is how I hear it. Nice job though. Very clean.
Ed

I just threw this mix together. I HAD to have this song mixed down for myself. I've listened to it too many times tonight already. Heh.

Thank you. I'm really happy with how everything's turning out.

I think it's a pretty song. The vocals maybe are a bit - just a bit - loud. Also, something about the crossfade of vocals when the first chorus starts, was a little jarring/distracting. Maybe the verse vocals need to fade out more first at that point? I don't know...
Nice job, though. You got a really strong sound.

maybe its done on purpose, but alot of the vocals sounds like you physically doubled them. But they seem to be off with each other, like the words are not spoken at the same time with each other, im not saying that is bad, but does sound a little funny throughout the whole song.

song sonics are great, everything is very crisp and clear.

I can find nothing wrong with this recording. I don't feel the vocals are too loud. They are pleasant sounding and thus sit fine as they are.

My only concern is the choice of ending chord and note, but that's the band's department. You captured the off-putting end beautifully.

metalj said:
maybe its done on purpose, but alot of the vocals sounds like you physically doubled them. But they seem to be off with each other, like the words are not spoken at the same time with each other, im not saying that is bad, but does sound a little funny throughout the whole song.

song sonics are great, everything is very crisp and clear.

They wrote the song with both singers doing unison in parts. I like that they really make the one harmony stand out, though. They haven't had a problem with how it is.. so it's up to them if I tighten it up.

Alright geet73, I'm going to do something more productive than reviewing my own song and review yours...

Alright, I like the name... time machine... always an interesting topic... Yeah definitely a feel good song. I don't usually say this (so it's a good compliment for me), but I like the lyrics! The backing vocal is good too. Yeah, I like this... really, good job... nice acoustic work. the vocals sound like the star of show, coming across more than anything else. That's fine, cause they sound good.

Good job, it's a very good intimate sound.

Unrelated to the song, but how do you like that Behringer mixer? I own the same one, and think it's great for what it is, but I've rarely crossed anyone else who uses one.

is that a wrong note i hear at 1:16?
i'd maby like all the gits (and mando) to be just a touch brighter, but just a little. you might have the smallest low build-up, some whare between 130 and 200. (maby)
both of thoes are me being super critical, you did an awsome job.

very cool tune and nice job. i think the vocal levels are just right for the tune. was there any influence from the recent time travel thread?

great for a quick mix...

just a couple of suggestions...

I felt the vocal was to loud... and needed some leveling I would experiment with adding a smiggen amount of chorus to the vocal.... it'll widen it some and it'll seem more spacious... but not much at all

I really liked the guitars... nice

giraffe said:
is that a wrong note i hear at 1:16?
i'd maby like all the gits (and mando) to be just a touch brighter, but just a little. you might have the smallest low build-up, some whare between 130 and 200. (maby)
both of thoes are me being super critical, you did an awsome job.

This band writes songs.. but they're never officially finished. That sour note was all part of the improv. They won't be able to fix it though.. the one guitarist/vocalist is in Chicago for school right now. I don't mind it all that much, though.

I agree with you on the brighter guitars. Right now.. the only EQ done was a little 5k bump on the non-Ovation guitar to brighten it up to match a little better. I also rolled off the guitars at 100hz or so and the mando at 200hz.

Thanks, man.

TravisinFlorida said:
very cool tune and nice job. i think the vocal levels are just right for the tune. was there any influence from the recent time travel thread?

As far as I know, they don't browse this board. Heh. Who knows, though.

[quote="Sonixx]"great for a quick mix...

just a couple of suggestions...

I felt the vocal was to loud... and needed some leveling I would experiment with adding a smiggen amount of chorus to the vocal.... it'll widen it some and it'll seem more spacious... but not much at all

I really liked the guitars... nice[/quote]

I'm agreeing with the vocal being a bit loud after listening to it more and more. I'll definitely play with the chorus idea.

Thanks again.

If I finish up a new mix in the next few days.. I'll bump this thread with an update.

man this is fucking perfect. don't you dare add too many effects to this. all the buzzes and noise certainly add to the character. this is seriously awesome.

treymonfauntre said:
man this is fucking perfect. don't you dare add too many effects to this. all the buzzes and noise certainly add to the character. this is seriously awesome.

I'm not planning on it. I have a roomy reverb send effect on everything a bit to open it up and give it a more spacious feel. I might play with that chorus idea a bit.

Thank you very much. I give the band a lot more credit than myself.

I like everything about this recording. I like how it feels like you're in someones living room at a party and a couple of guys are playing. I think the instrumentation and arrangement are creative without being cutesy or drawing attention away from the melody. As for that last note and chord- well, that's kind of the point of the song guys. Did you listen to the lyrics?

Anyway, good work. I wasn't making recordings like this when I was eighteen. :)

Beautiful recording and song. My only suggestion would be to pan the right gtr a little more towards the middle. Having it hard panned (or nearly) sounds artificial to me, which to my ear conflicts with the live and natural character of the mix.

Tim

Back