A band I just finished up recording.

geet73

OMG!

They're called "The Escape Artist". Here's the last track of their demo. I guess they're "screamo"? Let me know if I did alright.

Thanks.

EDIT: I was just informed by the band that the vocals are buried in that song. Whoooops. I must've bumped something before mixdown.

Story of the Year?? lol

Sounds good IMO. The guitars are a little too hard panned IMO, they could come in some. They sound good though. Overall, very good IMO.

I wouldn't turn the guitars up any louder, maybe cut them back a bit,

Good mix though... Vocals aren't to loud, suits the genre, less pop, more rock...

geet73 said:

They're called "The Escape Artist". Here's the last track of their demo. I guess they're "screamo"? Let me know if I did alright.

Thanks.

EDIT: I was just informed by the band that the vocals are buried in that song. Whoooops. I must've bumped something before mixdown.
Sounds pretty good, geet. I'd like to hear a bit more "beef" on the guitars, but that is me. The band may not want that. Vocals could come up a bit, but seem to sit well for this type of music. They are very even in the mix. Clean guitar at 2:15 is nice. Voice could be a bit louder at that point. Cool song, and it actually sounds pretty good.
Ed

Im guessing this is already finished if you have given it to the band. Just a few mix comments anyways for future reference I suppose. Im not getting much kick on my monitors. I like the overall roomy sound of the drums. The high hats and most of all the crash are way back in the stereo image compared to the ride. I think there would be alot more power on those parts if the cymbals were more up front. Snare is probably a little loud in relation to the vocals or the vocals are a little low, which ever you prefer.
The guitars have an interesting sound. Sounds like an amp getting overloaded big time or heavy compression on the guitars. Not really sure what to think, I like it when both guitars are going but in the solo'd distorted parts, i wish that guitar had a little more clarity on the higher notes. Clean guitars sound really nice.

Overall nice job. Thanks for sharing.

i think the toms not being closer micced sounds pretty bad. i would prefer to have a meatier kick of course. the cymbals actually sound good to me, especially the ride. the crash is almost inaudible. i think a lot of the problem with this is the drummer not being very even. its also very roomy which isn't really ideal for this kind of music. the vocals sound like they're seriously a perfect level.
a big complaint would be that in the beginning when it goes from just guitar to drums it doesn't have enough bang. it seems like there should be SOMETHING there that makes it sound like the rest of the band is blasting in. the problem might be poor performance though.

its a very nice sounding recording though. well above average for the typical little chaotic hardcore band that records with 1 radio shack mic hanging from their cieling fan. they should be pleased!

would you mind sharing what mics you used?

The toms actually were close-mic'd. 5-6" tops. I have 3 Audio Technica Pro-35x's that I use. The drummer had to use my kit.. which is in dire need of new heads. Meh. He also had super annoying tom angles. I really think this ruined the sound I had going when I tuned them the day before.

With the cymbals.. he had SHIT cymbals. His one crash was an Adam percussion that sounded ridiculously dead. Which is why you can't hear it.. at all. The ride and other crash were both Sabian B8s.. they actually came out nicely on this.

All the mics were:
Kick - AKG D112
Snare - EV635A
Toms - AT Pro-35x
OHs - MXL 991s
Room - SP B1
Guitars - SM58
Vocals - SP B1

Guitars were my 5150 through their singer's Mesa 2x12 cab. The bass was direct through my Sansamp Bass Driver.

Wireneck, yea.. I definitely overcompressed the guitars. I kinda liked how they sounded that way, so I left 'em. They didn't have any complaints so I guess it didn't matter. Heh.

The band overall is really happy with how everything turned out. Going through the mixes and mastering today.. they all looked ridiculously happy. So.. I guess I made them happy.

I still think it needs quite a bit of tweaking.. but I'm leaving on Saturday for a month tour and I neeeeded to get this to them before I left. I have absolutely no problems with going back over everything when I get back. I'm really flexible. :)

Thanks for listening. If I remember, I'll post the fixed vocal version tomorrow. I'm going to bed.

I personally don't like the roomy sound of the drums. To me they sound like they were recorded inside of a barrel. Especially snare. The kick is too quiet. The guitars could use some more meat, as someone else said. Vocals sound pretty good, IMO, especially the screams.

i' like it if the kit was just a bit more "in your face"

but that's it for me, sounds good!

Wireneck, yea.. I definitely overcompressed the guitars.

Haha it definitely has an interesting sound. Im surprised the band didn't catch that. On second thought, no I am not. It really sounds like a tube amp was getting pushed to the point of a meltdown. Cool on some levels but not as clear as it probably could be for the parts I mentioned in my original post. If the band is happy thats what matters though.

great, my 9 year old nephew apparently got on my computer. i'm disappointed in the "supah".

Did he get in your Pm's? I got a weird one from you earlier that im not exactly sure what its related to hahaha? No offense meant if it was in fact you.

This is not screamo by any stretch of the imagination.
This is pop punk with yelling.

Oh yeah, and the mix needs a lot more presence. Everything seems very very distant.

giraffe said:
i' like it if the kit was just a bit more "in your face"

but that's it for me, sounds good!

That's the only thing I noticed as well - kit sits just a bit too far back.

Nice work! :D

xtjdx said:
This is not screamo by any stretch of the imagination.
This is pop punk with yelling.

if you consider this pop punk then i'll just assume you've never heard a good pop punk band in your life. you're discrediting this band a bit too much. maybe the raw recording is making me miss why everybody is calling them story of the year

yeah these guys arent pop punk at all lol...more like post hardcore or w/e you want to "categorize" them as lol. And are they STORY OF THE YEAR???

Back