98lite ?

Just a little more info...

The machine I am thinking about doing this to is completely isolated and ONLY for recording. No need for browsers, etc...junk on the hd.

That was my real reason of considering it, but while doing a search for it here I noticed a lot of people claiming actual performance increase.

I wanted to hear more. :)

i used 98lite before, it doesn't perform any better than 98se...at the time i was running a amd k6-400 or 500. if your programs work i say just go 2000pro or Xp. they both are very stable.

Got any hints Emeric? I set up 98lite on a bunch of machines and I never noticed any (major) increase in performance. I always ended up needing more and more of the components that 98lite removed so I probably ended up with a regular 98 in the end. However, even with a clean, bare-bone installation of 98lite, I didn't find it faster than a regular 98.

I still use it though, just for the heck of it.

c9-2001 said:
i used 98lite before, it doesn't perform any better than 98se...at the time i was running a amd k6-400 or 500. if your programs work i say just go 2000pro or Xp. they both are very stable.

Im steering clear of xp. 2000 is great for workstations and server environments but just seems like a lot of bloatware for a daw to me. But, thanks...most likely...I will stay with 98se on this one.

ola said:
Got any hints Emeric? I set up 98lite on a bunch of machines and I never noticed any (major) increase in performance. I always ended up needing more and more of the components that 98lite removed so I probably ended up with a regular 98 in the end. However, even with a clean, bare-bone installation of 98lite, I didn't find it faster than a regular 98.

I still use it though, just for the heck of it.

And this is where my confusion lies...

Being a software developer I just dont see the ties in performance here. Most daw apps dont use the integrated explorer/ie/web-integrated stuff anyways. But, certainly if there is a performance increase someone must know of WHERE it coming from... :) I guess that is my real question overall. I probably have my daw tweaked to the max, but I am always on the lookout for something more.

Oh, and I am glad to have found this site. I love to discuss this kind of stuff people.

2k take up a bit more HD space and slows somethings down but its pretty rock solid stable. I've been running it on this little PII266 dell latitude laptop now for over a year and I've only had it crash once because something came loose inside my laptop, either the ram or the HD.

98SE with a bit of tweaking can be ok. But it isn't what I would call stable in any means.

Garak said:
2k take up a bit more HD space and slows somethings down but its pretty rock solid stable. I've been running it on this little PII266 dell latitude laptop now for over a year and I've only had it crash once because something came loose inside my laptop, either the ram or the HD.

98SE with a bit of tweaking can be ok. But it isn't what I would call stable in any means.

Well, before a windowsOS version war starts let me just say that I do love 2k. XP looks good, but I am not willing to convert right now. 98SE can be really stable if you pay attention to driver evrsions, etc. It gets tricky.

I remember a friend of mine complaining about his 98 machine always crashing, etc. When I took a look at it for him I noticed that some of his drivers were very outdated, while others were beta versions. *sigh*

I have seen almost every version of windows made pretty stable by carefully updating and keeping track of the system. Anyway, might be shooting off-topic here.

I dont know if I have enough evidence of the payoff of 98lite to mess with it. Right now my daw is solid and stable, but like I said before, I am always looking for another piece of gold in the mine. :)

I checked out the Win98lite site awhile ago after reading about it here, I just cant understand what the attraction is. C9 & Version2 are 100% right. If you set up 98 properly and keep it clean, it can be quite stable. If you load a lot of crap on it and don't keep it updated, it will be cranky and it will make no difference whether it is W98 or "Lite".

This might be the place to gain some insight. I have been unable to get my Cakewalk Guitar Pro operating properly on my new XP machine. I have been considering Win98SE if I can get adequate drivers. My intent is to set up a dedicated AWS with none of the other crap that comes with and version of Windows. What do you think? Win 98SE? Win98lite?

Ola,

No real hints that I can offer.

I don't use it anymore.

However, I did find it improved my performance for recording - when I was using an PII450MHz. I got a couple more tracks, and the software 'response' felt quicker.

It does have it's place on older, slower machines IMO.

Now that new machines are so fast, a few tweaks in whatever OS is all that is needed. As well, the obvious - keep a clean machine and dual boot if your using your machine for tasks other than recording.

I use it ony my daughters old 133MHz and it's definetly faster than a regular 98. So yes, it's good on old crap machines:)

Back