96khz Sonar 6

Higher sample rate means:

A) Bigger files (not as big a problem as it used to be...)

B) Less track count before you blue screen.

C) Less plug-ins you can run before your computer rolls over and dies.

Lock it down on 24bit/44.1khz and forgetaboutit...

"Lock it down on 24bit/44.1khz and forgetaboutit..."

I wouldn't say that. While the advantages aren't huge or obvious always, I think for someone that really wants to produce the best that he can and has the room and power, why not? In the end I think you may end up with a better product.... I don't know, I run at 24/48, mainly cause my system seems to get finicky above that.

That being said, most people would do more good focusing on developing their skills and rooms, and so forth.

How do I change it to 24 bit?

I tried adjusting the sample rate but didnt see any option for the resolution.

How do I change it to 24 bit?

I tried adjusting the sample rate but didnt see any option for the resolution.

I gave up on trying to find it then ran into it many weeks/months later:

Options > Global > File bit depths

change Record Bit Depth to 24 bits and probably Render at at least 32 bits

Daryle

Options > Global > File bit depths

change Record Bit Depth to 24 bits and probably Render at at least 32 bits

Kudos Man! I knew it had to be somewhere....

Now If I can only get a copy of the Convolution Reverb presets, somehow mine are missing and havent had the time to reinstall.

Lock it down on 24bit/44.1khz and forgetaboutit...

Yeah, that's what I did. I couldn't even answer his question about where to change the bit rate, it's been so long since I did it. Until it came to me late last night... :D

You might try to re install to get the files to show up...

"Lock it down on 24bit/44.1khz and forgetaboutit..."

I wouldn't say that. While the advantages aren't huge or obvious always, I think for someone that really wants to produce the best that he can and has the room and power, why not? In the end I think you may end up with a better product.... I don't know, I run at 24/48, mainly cause my system seems to get finicky above that.

That being said, most people would do more good focusing on developing their skills and rooms, and so forth.

The ONLY reason to run at 48khz is if you do video production (audio-for-video is 16bit/48k) or if you are working with devices that are native 48k (ADATs, SBLives and such).

To make CDs or mp3s you're going to have to go down to 16bit/44.1khz anyway and the math required to convert from 48k to 44.1k will just cause nasty problems that could pop up in your final file.

Lock it down on 24bit/44.1khz and forgetaboutit....

"math required to convert from 48k to 44.1k will just cause nasty problems that could pop up in your final file."

Never heard of that. Care to explain?

Good advice on this stuff, Tim.

I use 24/44.1 and feel it's adequate enough for music that's headed to CD.

garyota: I don't remember all the explanations I've read on the "math", but I if you stay at 44.1, dropping from 24 to 16 bit is easier math wise than dropping from 24/48 to 16/44. I've never done it, so I don't know for sure what issues could arise except maybe for some weird artifacing, etc. Tim can get down and dirty with an explanation if he wants!

Also, when increasing the rate, I believe the general recommendations were to go from 44.1 to 88.2 (an increase of 2x rather then odd numbers).

But in the end, I don't worry about it...24/44.1 is what I use and it works, sounds good.

It's locked like suggested @ 24 bit / 44.1, been tracking for a few days now and I have noticed more headroom and less noise.

Overall those 2 things have made it easier to capture good tracks that sit well in the mix.

And it almost seems unbelievable, but i can almost swear more cpu was being used when i was tracking at 16 bit. Weird huh?:p

Back