96khz Is it worth it or is t just a stop along the way?

Jack Hammer

I have been eyeing the new MTU 24 i/0 which will give me 24 ins and outs at 96 khz. I am wondering though, should I be waiting for 192 to become the defacto standard. Will 192 khz become the defacto standard once computer speeds and hardware have reached an adequate price point/power point for such high resolution.

Also, is 192 khz just the tip of t he high resolution iceberg? Will there ultimately be something approaching infinite digial resolution on desktop computers that are as powerful as supercomputers once were?

48 Khz seems to me to be as high as you would ever need. then master it down to 44.1

Some swear they can hear a clear difference between 44, 48, 96, ... n, but its not likley that they really can. (i know ill take heat for that comment!)

Conserve space on your hard drive and dont make your comupter work so hard! keep your sampling rate in the 40's!

An infinte sampling rate would take up an infinite amount of space and would require an eternity to signal process. All we need is a sampling sufficient to trick the ear. If you really want to work with a "continous" signal, go analog! :)

-Alex

your going to need 240khz or so sampling rate to get the frequency response of a good reel to reel deck.

Back