8mb cache to a 16 mb

nodoubt45

how much diff will it make??
just got rooked at best buy im thinkin...
finally bit the bullet and got a wd green 500gb internal.
was already feeling kinda bad that i THOUGHT it only had 16mb cache instead of 32.......
now i get home and the damn thing has 8 mb cache stamped on it !!
friggin didnt even think they still made em like that.....
would you take it back or what ??
thanks....

For audio? Not much difference, I wouldn't think. If you have even 16 tracks of audio (each in a separate file), the odds of any significant amount of the first file's data being present in the drive's track cache after cycling through and reading a bit from each file is probably pretty small.

Now if the difference in cache also has a different drive mechanism associated with it (e.g. faster seek times), that could make a difference, but for the most part, the size of the track cache should matters very little for audio beyond the size of one or two physical tracks on the platter.

Where it does make a difference is in things like boot time and application launch time where you are doing lots of little random reads, many of which may come from the same physical track. It might also make a difference for audio if the drive uses a smart algorithm that manages to keep file metadata buffered, but only if your OS is dumb and doesn't cache it well enough in software. :)

Was the box labelled a 16mb cache drive, and the drive itself says 8mb? Check your receipt for the exact model number listed. Make sure they screwed up and not you.

If it's an easy uninstall, I'd take it back just on principal. Best buy charged you for a 16mb cache drive, and gave you one of lessor quality.

If you wanted an 8mb cache drive, for the same price you could have gotten a Blue drive.

It's your money, and your conscience. If it were me, I'd take it back.

Was the box labelled a 16mb cache drive, and the drive itself says 8mb? Check your receipt for the exact model number listed. Make sure they screwed up and not you.

If it's an easy uninstall, I'd take it back just on principal. Best buy charged you for a 16mb cache drive, and gave you one of lessor quality.

If you wanted an 8mb cache drive, for the same price you could have gotten a Blue drive.

It's your money, and your conscience. If it were me, I'd take it back.

took it backand got a whole new puter ! tx for your responses

Back