*%$#

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
*%$# video card...

I built a computer yesterday for a roomate, however it is giving me grief. I am able to install windows 98se, and get all the updates thru windowsupdate. However, when I try to install the video card drivers, it freaks out.

The mobo is an ECS K7S5a. The video card is an MX440SE-T 64mb DDR w/tv Out.

Once I install the drivers for the video card (and this has been done as soon as windows is installed, or it has been done after windows is installed and updated), it prompts me to reboot. I do, then it hangs up at the win98 screen for about 2 or three minutes, then reboots itself. Then I get to the screen where it prompts me to start in normal or safe mode etc etc.

I don't really know what to do from there, but I have tried a few things. I have removed it completely from the system, but it automatically installs the device again. I have downloaded some drivers from the website, but I can't even get to use them because I can't use the cdroms in safemode.

So I reboot, and I am back to the vicious cycle of hanging up and rebooting...

Does anybody have a clue to help here ? :D

Last edited:
Will windows install a generic driver for the card ?
Perhaps you got a bad card.
I've never heard of the card your talking about.
Why did'nt he go with a standard G-force card ?

I take that back...it is g-force...but $50...mmmm...I dont know, thats a pretty cheap video card:(
And that Mobo....Yuk...cheap components means problems in my opinion.

Yes windows installs a generic driver for the card, but immediately following that, it goes on to install the MX440 driver automatically. I don't get a chance to tell it to do otherwise :(. I know it is a cheap video card, not as cheap as the one in my machine though :D , and mine works (16 bit ragepro PCI).

The choice of most of the components were in fact based on finances. :(.

Does the MOBO have onboard video? If so, it could be conflicting with the new card. ..might have to disable the onboard display adapter in CMOS.

Well, I don't know :(. I can manage to get into windows briefly now, I have installed an MSI update from the disk, so it automatically gets the right updates. It updated the VGA portion of the BIOS (flashed it), but I'm still having no luck. I went through the BIOS too making sure everything was in order, as far as I could tell, it is. There is no onboard.

Thanks again.

Sounds like Motherboard problems

I would go to the motherboard site and download the latest patch. Sounds like a PCI Bus mastering problem. A download of the latest for that make of board should solve that.

Back