880ex and philips stand alone cd recorder

bunnyfunk

I really want to buy an 880ex, but still have some questions that the music store guys cant answer for some reason(i dont think they really know how to use it!)My first question is about mastering cd,s. I have a philips stand alone recorder, that has digital ins(optical and coaxil) There is only one of each opposed to a left and right analog. Can is use this with the vs 880 to make my masters and backups? Or do I have to buy the Roland burner? I have also heard that the 880 comes with a "mastering toolkit" with 3 band compressor and other mastering effects. Is this true? And if so, can I get these to work with my philips unit when I am mastering, or is it one of those"only with other roland stuff" type of deals. thanks for the time!

When I bought mine, I heard from some reputable sources that only the Roland and the Plextor cd-r's would work with the 880EX. The mastering stuff must come with the newer units, but I downloaded mine from the Roland website. Roland puts their latest upgrades on the web for download as well as a lot of info you can download. Like spec sheets and stuff in PDF (Adobe) format. It's usually a more accurate source of info and specs than a music store clerk. There are compressors and EQ's and a ton of processors and effects that come with the unit. Check out the Roland website and check out the VSPlanet website.

Back