828mkII plus mixer...to mixdown or not to mix down

MikeDMusic

So ok...I my signal chain is like this mic>analogmixer>828mkII>DP4.5 while tracking. I just wanted to know if because the 828mkII has both A/D AND D/A conversion on their 10 anolog I/O's does that mean that when I want to mix a song I will be able to send the tracks back out to my mixer and use the faders to get the levels and send the stereo mix back into the computer? That's what I really want to be able to do...actually have physical faders in front of me when mixing the actual tracks...is this feasible? Thanks for the help.

Mike

Reactions: NL5
Yeah, it's possible to go like that, but really not recommended. At all.

You'll be doubling up both the number of AD/DA conversions (which will give you some signal loss/degredation), and double the amount of space that the project you're working on will take up, as you'll need to be recording everything the mixer outputs.

In the world of analogue tape-to-tape recording, yeah, thats how one would go about things. But with a DAW, thats completely superfluous - sending analogue signal out for mixdown, then recording it back in.

DP (which I use as well) has every control built into the software you'd want to use. If you want physical faders like that, you'll want to pick up something like the behringer control surface (http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG), or the Mackie Control Universal (which I'd recommend more, if you have the cash). These are virtual control devices that don't pass any actual audio through them. The DAW version of a keyboard and mouse.

Once the recording is finished on the DAW, and you want to start into mixdown, you want a virtual control surface to give you faders and knobs to control the software values - NOT something that analogue signal is actually passing through (unless it's an outboard signal processor of any kind). This is why you can buy a 64 or 128 track mixing desk for so much cheaper than you'd ever have been able to do previously - because they're control surfaces that get their information from the computer, rather than inputs and outputs.

Does this make sense?

It's not neccessarily a bad idea to use an analog mixer to mixdown, but it would depend both on how you like to work, and how good your mixer is.

If you have an SSL and racks of world class outboard, there's no reason not to do it. But if you have a Behringer and a processor with a suck knob hard wired to "full on", then that's a pretty good reason.

But yeah, unless you're doing it for a specific reason (i.e. you hate the sound of digital summing and wanna run some sort of analog summing bus, or you really want to use certain hardware devices), go ahead and get a control surface. They're pretty fun to play with.

thanks a lot...yeah this makes total sense so...would it make a difference for sound quality weather or not I got the behringer or the mackie...if it's not actually touching the audio in any way? It's only sending signals to the computer on which faders to move yes?...Are there any other comparable interfaces that do the same thing? Thanks a lot for your help.

The difference between the Behringer and the Mackie is the quality. I suggest the Mackie because they give a 2 year warranty on their MCU. I think that is pretty good.

In short, you should get a control surface for your mixing unless you are willing to pay a crapload of money for a really good mixer.

I figured that the quality of the mackie was better...what I'm saying is...if I can't afford an extra grand into my budget and I still want an external control surface... than is the behringer going to DEGRADE my signal if it's not actually touching it? If not then I'm going to go with that, especially after reading the user reviews? If the mixer matters at all I'm torn between a soundcraft M8 or M12 or one of the Allen and Heath boards (used)...thanks again man

No, it has nothing to do with the actual audio. Your software will not know which unit it is sending midi signals to, it's probably the same template. And the actual audio is completely seperate from the midi controllers anyways. It's the same exact thing as using a mouse, and it really doesnt matter what mouse you use.

H2H

Back