80's=reverb, 90's=compression, 00's=??

db51

What do you think???

What's gonna be the great effect of the 00's that every engineer is gonna overuse and be embarrassed at in 2011?? :)

question?

Bruce "Do you believe in blah blah blah" :D

Autotune shouldn't get that much credit.I like artifical perfection (read: sterile) recording. Pro tools for example. I use it , I love it, but people can't even reproduce what they record. They don't have the skills to. You can play a riff once and copy and paste it for the entire song.

DSP isn't really an effect, and Pro Tools is just another recorder/sequencer/editor to me, but Autotune and it's cousins are going to be the thing.

I bet Al B. Sure and Rogger are so proud of themselves. now a complete generation of producers who can't really nail it as singers can make hits. of course Al B. Sure's downfall was that his live performances sucked.

Blue Bear Sound said:
That's easy... the Autotune - especially that STUPID effect that is in EVERY fuckin' pop song now!!!!!!!!!

:D

Bruce
Ok, this is going to sound really stupid, but I don't have much knowlage of current pop songs. What is this autotune "effect"? What are the current popular songs that use it?

As for my take on the 00's sound, I don't like where snare drums are going. I can't put my finger on their new sound, but I wish it would go away. Mabey even numbered decades are no good for snares. I loved the 70's and 90's snares and hated them in the 80's!

The AutoTune (mfd by Antares) makes suck-@ss singers sing in tune.

ROTFLMAO about Al B. Sure!!! That man couldn't sing for sh#t! And his music was horrendous!!!!
Roger Troutman was the man. His use of the vocoder made many
hip to it's uses! To bad he's dead! Shot dead by his own brother!!!

I know it corrects pitches, but how does it "color" the sound? How do you know you are listening to an autotune song? What songs use it? Sorry for all the questions, I am just wondering if I have ever heard it before.

Every time you hear a tune where the vocalist's voice "pops" mechanically from one discrete pitch to another, like running your finger up a keyboard. When it first came out, it was used very delicately, on just one or two phases, maybe, to clean up an otherwise keeper take. Now, people use it like they are actually *proud* of it- with every single phrase in the lead vocal smashed to the max, and this little robotic/vocoder-sounding voice is all that's left. You plug your guitar into the Pod, and you plug your vocalist into the autotune box. It's How It's Done. Shit, even in country and commercials now...

Even when it's used subtly, you get this "snap" to pitch thing that just isn't right: vocalists just don't scoop pitches that way. Autotune is definitely the sound of the decade for pop music. I'm _extremely_ glad that I don't do pop (and never have), and you'll never see an autotune box or plugin in my room.

To quote my gray-haired mammy: "Gag a maggot on a shitwagon". Sorry, folks, but it is not for me.

I agree about autotune

As music moves more towards the entertainer/boob package (translation...good looking people who can't write music and can't sing worth a damn) - the technology will be moving more towards making ANYONE a singing sensation, and the technology will be used to correct and fix issues with vocal performances.

In the past, to lipsync was a sin (and I think it probably should be, in a live performance) - but autotune and the like will still give the guys the "we can sing" credit without having to rely too much on their actual talent - esp. during live performances...and if Autotune isn't ready for that yet, you can be damned sure someone is working hard on it somewhere. Real time audio pitch correction...and we'll build the box with five inputs...one for each singer in the boy band...(and since they never have more then five, we'll just put only 5 inputs on it) -

And I'm not always guilt free myself...If I've got to play something complex on the guitar, I've been known to use a lot of delay. Delay covers a multitude of sins.

Listen to the "Linkin Park" album if you want to hear Autotune at its worst. Especially this line in a song by them called "In the End"

listen for this part near the latter part of the song right before the last chorus:

"I've put my trust.. in you.. pushed as far as I can go.. for all this, there's only one thing you should know"

Pretty much everything bad about Autotune is totally made known by that line right there. It actually distorts the sounds in a digitally-way. Before I knew what it really was, I always associated the pitch-correction sound with pop-country songs vocals and harmonies.

ya...... I completly agree,

Autotune was THE FIRST thing I thought of when it came to most overused effect.....

my god do I ever hate that effect as well......

never like it...... never will

Sabith

I am not really familiar with autotone at all, but when it was brought up my first thought was Britney Spears. Then as I read through the posts there she was, LOL. Is that why Weird Al is able to imitate her so well? Does he use a combination of autotone and effects? I think the song he does is called 'Oh Boobie, Boobie', and it is hilarious. Just curious about how he does it.

t

less compression, more limiting.

I think that's the way it's gonna go, because really everyone seems to want to produce THE LOUDEST PIECE OF MUSIC THERE IS. And without any artefacts, please.

David.

Back