$800 and under microphone for vocals

BLP

I'm searching far and wide for a few vocal mics to compare. I do not want to pay more then $800 at the moment.

I will be recording Hip Hop and R & B vocals if that helps.

Can I get a few mics yall would recommend me to check out?

I know their is no "best" one out there.

So I would like to know if their is any onions on some mics I can look into for my price and genre of vocal recording.

I was really interested in the Neumann TLM 102 and it would be used mainly for vocals

I'd take the first $200 or so out of that budget and get either an Electro-Voice RE16 (new),
or a Beyer Soundstar M400 series (looks like a SM58).

Then you'd have the option of using a hand held microphone covered.

The RE16 has been used by a number of top studios (like RCA), and the Beyer Soundstar is more of a "sleeper". The Beyer is used, for example, at Harvey Gerst's "Indian Trail Studio".

Usually you won't get a similar quality of sound out of a SM58 (or 57) unless you're running it through a premium $$ mic pre.

Chris

P.S. If you're used to using proximity effect, you may prefer the Beyer M400.
The Shure SM7 sounds similar, has more tonal options due to EQ/low cut switches, but not best suited to be a hand held.

I'd take the first $200 or so out of that budget and get either an Electro-Voice RE16 (new),
or a Beyer Soundstar M400 series (looks like a SM58).

Then you'd have the option of using a hand held microphone covered.

The RE16 has been used by a number of top studios (like RCA), and the Beyer Soundstar is more of a "sleeper". The Beyer is used, for example, at Harvey Gerst's "Indian Trail Studio".

Usually you won't get a similar quality of sound out of a SM58 (or 57) unless you're running it through a premium $$ mic pre.

Chris

P.S. If you're used to using proximity effect, you may prefer the Beyer M400.
The Shure SM7 sounds similar, has more tonal options due to EQ/low cut switches, but not best suited to be a hand held.

I've had a AT4047 and SM7B and a AKG220

trying to see if there is anything better?

Neumann mics have a particular sound and that's the sound I want to hear on vocals. The chances are that the CD's you like used Neumann mics for the vocals. It ended up being the sound that most people, without knowing it, think of as "regular", and try over and over unsuccessfully to get with M-Audio and the like mics.

There's no way around it, if I had $800 I'd put it toward a Neumann. It's too much money to put towards the wrong mic. If you shop right you can find stuff you can resell and make a profit or at least break even.

I've used TLM 102's and they sound great. A U87 is really what you want, you probably know that, but the cheapest I've seen them for is $1600 on eBay.

Used TLM 102's have been going for about $500.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Neumann-TLM-102...282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255cf74692

hmm im suprised no-one has said anything about the SE Z3300a...i mean its a great mic to me when i tested it ( tested vocals , i rap also) ...goes for $499 on amazon...i could say its worth while...

hmm im suprised no-one has said anything about the SE Z3300a...i mean its a great mic to me when i tested it ( tested vocals , i rap also) ...goes for $499 on amazon...i could say its worth while...

SE Z3300a! .... there I said it. :D

:cool:

moresound, wonder if you meant the EV RE11 instead of the P11.
If so, the RE11's are capsules that didn't quite fall within the range of RE16 specifications.

Recently I picked up a Shure SM48, where also has a capsule that didn't meet SM58 specs
(48's are thinner in the mid's) and oddly enough it's actually is a better fit for my "full" baritone voice. But YMMV.
The 48's also have lower output than the more "hot" SM58.

BLP how did you like the 4047 (I have never tried one)?

The 4047 seems to have a good reputation. It's hip nowadays to suggest the SM7, but in spite of that IMHO it's an excellent vocal mic. Curious as to why you'd sell that one.

A buddy has an AKG Perception 100 and I thought it sounded pretty nice for a budget LDC.
Would think the 220 is decent too.

Chris

moresound, wonder if you meant the EV RE11 instead of the P11.
If so, the RE11's are capsules that didn't quite fall within the range of RE16 specifications.

Recently I picked up a Shure SM48, where also has a capsule that didn't meet SM58 specs
(48's are thinner in the mid's) and oddly enough it's actually is a better fit for my "full" baritone voice. But YMMV.
The 48's also have lower output than the more "hot" SM58.

BLP how did you like the 4047 (I have never tried one)?

The 4047 seems to have a good reputation. It's hip nowadays to suggest the SM7, but in spite of that IMHO it's an excellent vocal mic. Curious as to why you'd sell that one.

A buddy has an AKG Perception 100 and I thought it sounded pretty nice for a budget LDC.
Would think the 220 is decent too.

Chris

Hey Chris. No it's the EV P11 an older microphone that looks surprising similar to the RE16.
I have 2 perception 220s and they are great microphones for the money even if they are the bottom of the line of AKG made in China.

:cool:

I guess the obvious question (or not so obvious) is what do you NOT like about your current mics / past mics you've tried? Fiddle with EQ and other things to try and figure out what you LIKE better. Then find a mic that requires less fiddling to get there from here.

What usage will you be needing? Just in studio stuff? Or for live use as well?

I'm currently trying out my AT3035 with a Sterling Audio PF1 and other cheapie nylon pop filter. I can literally blow at the mic and no wind noise. And the results aren't too bad. I'm not sure how that'd compare to other pricier mics. But I tend to exhale after a phrase which can really screw with most mics. A C414 or other mic might also be good depending on if you're compensating for a room. Or if you want a more flattering than a transparent mic.

wohoo SE Z3300A!!! haha thanks moresound :)

well i grabbed me a SE Z3300A ...now i need an interface...hope its a great mic :P

re-16's a sleeper

The EV RE-16 is a sleeper microphone beyond belief. It's been in production the same amount of years as the venerable Shure 565/SM-58. It just doesn't have the "look" (EV mics have always been different animals).

The RE-16 best feature is its reduced proximity effect....so you can really work it close and not have the low end buildup. Yes some like that but the EV tends to be a little more honest.

I have a pair of RE-16s and a pair of RE-15s (same mic. no blast filter screen).
If you can get one used in decent shape you'll have a great workhorse microphone that works on a lot of things.

One more sleeper dynamic vocal mic (if you want warm and fat), the Beyer 88 series.

I'm searching far and wide for a few vocal mics to compare. I do not want to pay more then $800 at the moment.
$800 for a mic?

How much are you spending for the recording equipment? IMHO, a key step is turning the analog signal into a digital file. I'd put my money there first.

Hey, Sound on Sound just had a Vocal Mic Shootout in the July 2010 edition.

Here's a link to the recorded vocal samples by vocalist style. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/articles/vocalmicsaudio.htm

What was surprising to the reviewers is that the EV-20 was the clear winner for 'rap type vocals' over other mics costing more that twice as much. Also, it came in 3rd or 4th in a lot of the categories, showing an over all versatility that really surprised the reviewers.

Prado

Back