$80 for Audio Technica...

Mixteco

A high school kid sold me a perfectly barely used AT3035 for $80 today.

Now Ive never owned a Audio Technica mic before so Im excited to try this one out:D

Great deal! I got a 2035(the model that replaced the 3035) at their warehouse sale for $109 new. I love it. Audio Technica is a fine company.

Yes indeed.

Currently I own:

AKG Perception 100
MXL 3000
GLS 58

I hope I can get a better sound outta this mic.

The first time I recorded in a studio was using a Universal Audio preamp and a Neumann TLM103 and my voice sounded sooo warm and tight. I loved it!

But since the economy went down I steered myself to do homerecording...and I still havent achieved that sound Ive been looking for.

well lets hope the mic isn't hot! Do you know him? I have people coming to me with these unbelievable deals and I just have to pass on them.It's a sad world out there!

Now aside from your mic collection what else are you using in your recording chain? And how do you use the mics you currently own? And what are you recording?

A high school kid sold me a perfectly barely used AT3035 for $80 today.

Now Ive never owned a Audio Technica mic before so Im excited to try this one out:D

Decent buy...its worth every penny IMHO...but you should have haggled better...I bought both of mine for about $50 each...they are a wonderful all around mic that beats most anything south of an AT40 series.

BTW...they are not the same as the AT2035 according to the specs listed on the AT site.

well lets hope the mic isn't hot! Do you know him? I have people coming to me with these unbelievable deals and I just have to pass on them.It's a sad world out there!

Now aside from your mic collection what else are you using in your recording chain? And how do you use the mics you currently own? And what are you recording?

I dont know him personally but Ive seen his myspace and from the looks of it he seems like a pretty honest white kid tryna do rap musik. :cool: lol
In our myspace convo before the transaction he told me he "needed a more expensive mic to achieve a more better recording." That was his reason of letting it go for that much. I think it wasnt the mic just simply a lack of knowledge on mixing, room acoustics, and mic techniques...but I didn't stop him!:D

Well as for my recording chain...

Mic plugs into my MAudio Tampa, which plugs into my MAudio Fast Track, which then plugs into my quad core homebuilt pc.
I use ghetto homebuilt sound filters, which basically are 3 1inch square foam sheets glued together, and pretend theyre RealTraps reflection filters lol.

GLS 58 only gets used in church mostly or other live events I host or somethin
AKG Perception 100...it sounds too thin and too much in the highs for my voice so its been locked away in the box. I bought it like 1 1/2 year ago
MXL 3000...Can't hate on it b/c it gets the job done most of time for my vocals. I have a deep voice that I usually prefer to sound tight and warm and this mic gets pretty close to what I want in a mic. The mic boom fell while the mic was on it and it took a beating...no serious injury except I noticed more hiss than normal afterwards.

As far as music goes...Im versatile. Im a latin artist who sings anything from christian mexican regional music to christian rap/hip hop.:cool::D

Decent buy...its worth every penny IMHO...but you should have haggled better...I bought both of mine for about $50 each...they are a wonderful all around mic that beats most anything south of an AT40 series.

BTW...they are not the same as the AT2035 according to the specs listed on the AT site.

I know I know man. lol

I offered to do a trade but he insisted he needed cash since he was gonna buy a "expensive shure mic"

but he's a young high school kid & it is or was christmas when I bought it off of him.

You know...if you dont buy them...somebody else will...just dont let those guys know where you live.

Its kind of hard the studio has a high profile to keep the biz coming in, I do worry especially with the economy making crime rate sore and the cost of and use of heavy drugs running rampant you hear about all of those horror stories I just thank my lucky stars that nothing has ever happen like that to us through out all these years.

As far as music goes...Im versatile. Im a latin artist who sings anything from christian mexican regional music to christian rap/hip hop.:cool::D

[/B][/QUOTE]

We have 3 different rappers/hip hop artist come in the studio all the time to lay down tracks with some albums done and some still to come and they all swear by the shure SM7 after trying many of the other you would think they would use mics. All saying it just how they wanted there voice to sound, and neither one of them sound the same. If you get the chance try to pick one up off of ebay used.

Thanks Big Kenny. It sure is an amazing mic isn't it ? And versatile - you can put it in front of a lot of different sources and capture just what your hearing IMHO YMMV - there I think I'm getting the hang of these dang acronyms.

mixteco- I've even tried recording rap vocals using what is commonly known and used live for rap the shure 58 in the cupped hand technique, especially for the hype vocal track. But that's an effect of it's own a bit muddy etc. Live your pron to feedback a lot easier though, I sure hated when that became chic.

Shure SM7B...

hmmm sounds tempting! Ima stay alert on eBay now....

In the meantime what entry level monitors do ya recommend?

Ive been looking at the KRK RPG 5...

Monitors can be funny sales wise...you could usually find really good ones on Craigslist at all times for the same ammount you might invest in some low end starter monitors new...
So the question is this...do you really want to buy another set once you have enough money for a better set...or get really good ones right away?

I was on my craigslist earlier and found an AT4033 for $185 and its been listed for 3 weeks now...I could get that mic for $125 realistically....and that is less than a AT2020...what would you rather have?...a new mic that has been stripped down to be affordable for the home hobbiest or a mic that is used in hundreds of studios?
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/1487238520.html

Dont be afraid go for the used bargain...new and safe is for pussies.:p

Back