8 tracks at one time

rmc433

Hi, Hope you folks can help. 2488 neo. Book says I can record 8 tracks at one time. I will be recording a drum set soon and am wondering how to assign the 8 tracks. I would assume the 8 source (A thru H) lights would all be lit, and also 8 select (track) lits would also be lit.. Is this correct ?? I seem to be unable to get all source and track lights lit at the same time. What am I missing ???

You're missing the manual. It's all in there and
I suggest you read it a few times. You can download it at the tascam website.

re: 8 tracks at once

Gosh morningstar,, are you perhaps refering to the manual that came with my 2488neo when I bought it new about a month ago ?? The one I've read cover to cover at least 50 times ?? Maybe you could direct me to the page number that explains about arming and recording 8 tracks at once. I Must be overlooking something, and your guidence and knowledge would be so helpful.

Gosh morningstar,, are you perhaps refering to the manual that came with my 2488neo when I bought it new about a month ago ?? The one I've read cover to cover at least 50 times ?? Maybe you could direct me to the page number that explains about arming and recording 8 tracks at once. I Must be overlooking something, and your guidence and knowledge would be so helpful.

Okay, no need to be a smartass.:rolleyes: You have to realize that this type of question pops up quite frequently. Tascam doesn't have the greatest instruction manuals, but they usually can get you in the ball park of what you need to do.

Now, I'm not familiar with the 2488, but if it is anything like their portastudios, you should be able to assign the inputs to whatever tracks you need, and then arm the tracks.

Okay, I took the time to download the manual and look it over. Press and hold "Select" on the channel you want to assign an input to. While holding "Select", press the desired input button (A through H) and release both. They should be flashing. Once you arm the track, it should stop flashing and be a solid light. Record as desired.;)

Re 8 tracks at once

Thank you jjjones,,, Sorry for being a smart ass earlier but this is frustrating. Thanks for your constructive input. As you say, holding down the "select" track and then the input track works fine for 1 track at a time. My original question was,,, How do you arm all 8 "inputs" and 8 "select" tracks to be able to record 8 tracks at 1 time ??? I can't find anything in the manual on how to do this although the manual says this is possible. I also have the DVD tutorial from Tascam that says 8 tracks at once is possible but not how to actually do it. I'm not a complete novice to recording on this machine and have mixed and mastered a few tunes. These however were recorded 1 track at a time which I can do easily. The recorder works GREAT! I realize that I'm just not seeing something but can't for the life of me find where it is. As I mentioned in my first post, I would like to record a drum set with at least 7 mics. But HOW ??? My apologies to all and to morningstar for my smart-ass comments. I really do appreciate the help here.

Thank you jjjones,,, Sorry for being a smart ass earlier but this is frustrating. Thanks for your constructive input. As you say, holding down the "select" track and then the input track works fine for 1 track at a time. My original question was,,, How do you arm all 8 "inputs" and 8 "select" tracks to be able to record 8 tracks at 1 time ??? I can't find anything in the manual on how to do this although the manual says this is possible. I also have the DVD tutorial from Tascam that says 8 tracks at once is possible but not how to actually do it. I'm not a complete novice to recording on this machine and have mixed and mastered a few tunes. These however were recorded 1 track at a time which I can do easily. The recorder works GREAT! I realize that I'm just not seeing something but can't for the life of me find where it is. As I mentioned in my first post, I would like to record a drum set with at least 7 mics. But HOW ??? My apologies to all and to morningstar for my smart-ass comments. I really do appreciate the help here.

No problem man. We've all been there and it's frustrating. Just a little patience is all.;)

Unless I'm smoking crack, it should be as simple as pressing the desired track buttons under the "Record Function" area. I think they should blink red when you press the button, and then they go solid red when you start recording. I've been wrong before, but it looks like a similar type of setup of my digital portastudios, only yours is a bit more advanced.:D Hope that helps.

If I'm correct, you should just be able to do it quite easily.

Re: 8 tracks at once

Thanks jjjones !! Not sure if this will work, but will keep trying. I have a question on this in to Tascam so will wait to see what they say. I can arm all the record tracks to 1 input, but can't seem to arm 8 inputs to 8 tracks. for example: snare input to A, recorded on track 1, kick input to B recorded on track 2. tom to input C, recorded on track 3,,, etc, etc,etc. I think,, and this is only a guess,, that the sub-mix may play a role here. I'm re-reading that section now. Thank you so much and I'll try to let you know how this all works out.

Thanks jjjones !! Not sure if this will work, but will keep trying. I have a question on this in to Tascam so will wait to see what they say. I can arm all the record tracks to 1 input, but can't seem to arm 8 inputs to 8 tracks. for example: snare input to A, recorded on track 1, kick input to B recorded on track 2. tom to input C, recorded on track 3,,, etc, etc,etc. I think,, and this is only a guess,, that the sub-mix may play a role here. I'm re-reading that section now. Thank you so much and I'll try to let you know how this all works out.

I'm thinking you assign input "A" to track 1 by doing the previously mentioned procedure of pressing and holding one button down and pressing on the desired track. You would then repeat that by assigning input "B" to track 2, and so on. Once you have all 8 tracks assigned, you then arm the 8 tracks under the "Record Functions" area. It should be good to go after that. You may have tried this and there may be something I'm missing.

re: 8 tracks at once

Yeah jj, I thought that would be pretty simple. but each time I try to arm or select the next track, the first track light goes out. so I can't get all the tracks to arm at the same time. I really do welcome all your help. I know that I'm going to feel pretty dumb when someone explains this to me, but for now it's driving my nuts. As I said in another post, I have this question in to Tascam support so will me interesting to see what they have to say. Now I'm starting to get paranoid thinking that maybe my recorder is screwed-up. I know that sounds pretty far out but after all the fun I've had with this thing and considering the cost, it sure would be a blow to have to have it serviced . Thanks loads

Re: 8tracks at once.

Hi Jim Lad, when I do as you suggest I am able to "link" to tracks. I am able to use 2 "linked" inputs to record to 2 "linked" tracks. But that doesnt solve my problem. I want to be able to control the levels seperately on 8 inputs and monitor them on 8 seperate tracks or sliders. As in recording a drum set with 7 or 8 mics. Thank you for your interest. Sooner or later we'll solve this. The Manual says it can be done.

They're not all going to light up at once. But if you assign them, they will be assigned. To make sure, press input A and you'll see the track that it's assigned to also light up. Do this for each input and you'll see the track you assigned it to also light up.

The one I've read cover to cover at least 50 times ??
That's good :) and sorry for irritating you. That wasn't my intention. Not reading the manual is one of the most common errors for not knowing how our new toys work. Rami speaks the truth, as usual.

When you think about it, it only makes sense that they wouldn't all light up at the same time. Sometimes too many lights isn't any better than no lights.:D

If you had 16 lights on, you'd be no closer to knowing which input is assigned to which channel.

Back