8 track simutanisly

Thyst

Ok I have heard that the with the fostex vf-16 you can record 8 tracks simutanisly. So does that mean it has 8 places to hook up microphones and record all 8 mics at the same time?(I really only need 6 but you know) Also one more quick question if I did buy a vf-16 should I buy an effects processor like the digitech quad 4 or a rocktron Chameleon 2000.

Yes, thats what it means. (Only two inputs have phantom power, though, so if you have more than two mics that need that, you need some other way of powering them).

The VF-16 has built-in digital effects, so you don't need to by an external effects processor. Not right away at least.

Some microphones need electricity to work. The most common type of these are condenser mics. The most common way of supplying them with power is called "phantom" power, since you supply the power via the mic-cable, so no extra power cable is visible. (oooh, spooky).

The SM-57 are dynamic mics and do not need phantom power. The Nady drum mic pack called DMK-2 contain two phantom powered condenser mics each, the pack called CYM-2 contains two condenser mic powered by batteries and the packs DMK-3 and DMK-5 are all dynamic.
(http://www.nadywireless.com/drummics.html)

So you should not need any extra stuff in that case.

Back