8 track rtr for archival project

THX1136

Bonehead
I've got some old quad 8-track tapes I want to turn into dvd-audio discs so I can still enjoy/listen to them in an easy fashion. The main problem being the reliability of the the deck I have being able to play the tapes. I figured if I could find a rtr deck that could do 8 tracks I would be able to accomplish getting the music into my Mac. The only thing I could come up with is the Tascam 388. I do not know if it plays 7.5 only or if it will do 7.5 and 3.75. Ideally I'd almost rather rent/lease a 388 for the time I would need to dump the 40 tapes into the Mac. Anyone have any ideas on this one? Is there another machine that would fit my needs beside the 388? Anyone got one in close proximity to me (central Iowa) that would let me rent it for the project? Thanks for any help or insight anyone can offer.

In one aspect it might be. I would have to find someone with a 388 first, then ship the 40 tapes with the hopes that after disassembly the individual would reassemble the tapes which would be asking a lot of someone unfamiliar with 8 track cartridges. I would really like to just borrow a 388 from someone close to me if there is anyone in my area. Or find another machine that would accomplish the task. Or give up on doing the project. I dunno. Thanks for your input-food for thought indeed.

388 run at 7.5 only. And I really doubt that anyone would be willing to let you try this on their machine even if it did run at the proper speed.
I think your best bet would be to find a used working 8 track player on ebay and use it to transfere your music.
This forum is geared a little more toward multi track recording and not really the type of tape machines you need for your stuff.
Good luck with your tapes

Thanks for the input Herm. I'd be dumping the tapes into ProTools or GarageBand and I could adjust the pitch with a ProTools plug. One reason for wanting to do it with something like the 388 is due to the condition of some of the carts. I figured by going rtr I could avoid that end of the process. You are more than likely right about it being easier to find a working 8-track player. Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Back