8 track digital/analog in parallel?

Audio_Drivel

Hello,
I am about to begin construction on a digital (Delta 1010)/ analog (Tascam 48 1/2" 8 track) studio, and was wondering what would be the most optimal way to wire the two together without having to repatch, so that either medium can be tracked to and transferred from one to the other. I was conceptualizing running the 8 XLR bus outs of my mixer into the XLR ins on the tape machine, running the XLR outs of the tape machine into the 1/4" TRS ins of the delta, and running the 1/4" outs of the delta back into the console. Thus, if I'm wanting to track to digital, I can set all the tape machine's tracks to "input" to pass the signal through. Is this feasable? I figure it should require 3 snakes, a 1/4"->male XLR, a 1/4"-> female XLR and an XLR snake. Am I missing anything?

You COULD do it that way, but then all your digital recordings will have passed through the analog electronics of the 48. The less active components the audio signal passes through, the cleaner the recording. You would get cleaner recordings by using XLR to TRS snakes, running them into a TRS patch bay and "normaling" the patch bay for the way you intend to work most often... Steve

Back