8" Monitor Advise

eyeteeth

I'm sure it's been covered almost as much as "best mic for xxxxx", and I apologize, but my searches really didn't turn up anything useful.

I have a set of Tannoy 6.5 pbmII in my studio now... I'd like to get some 8 inch monitors for the studio and am curious to hear feedback on some of them.

I've heard the Mackie 824's, a set of Yamaha's, KRK's and Event. Oh.. and the M-Audio I liked the Mackie's and the Event's. But neither really seemed to be "THE" speaker. I liked the detail in the mids and highs on the Event, but the bass didn't seem as defined. The bass was more defined on the Mackie's, but lacking.

What's Your Impressions of the various 8" options on the market? What are you using... what do you wish you had?

I haven't tried the ones you mentioned but I have a pair of Tannoy Reveal 8D's which I love! I am very satisfied with these for their price ( I paid £400 for mine). I would quite like to check out the Precision 8D's next to the Reveal to hear what difference the dual Concentric drivers make.
If I wasn't limited to a small budget I would love either a pair of :-

Klein and Hummel 0300D's
Digidesign RM2's
Genelec 8050A's
KRK Expose E8B

What is your budget for a pair of monitors?

I've heard good things about :-

Mackie HR 824 mk2
KRK VXT 8
Adam P11a (7inch)
Tannoy Ellipse 8

These are between £800-£1000

i run a set of Event ASP8's. They've got bass for days. And it's nicely defined......whereas, IMO, the bass on the Mackie 824's is over-hyped and inflatedly thumpy.

if you think that the ASP8's don't have enough bass (or if it's not detailed enough) then what you really need is acoustic treatment and bass trapping in your room.

and if you don't think that the 824's have enough bass, then you DEFINITELY need bass trapping, b/c they've got a LOT of bass.

i chose the ASP8's b/c i liked the highs and mids best of them all, and their low end seemed to be balanced with the mids and highs. i can't see myself upgrading anytime soon.

cheers,
wade

Thanks for the discussion thus far.

I really don't have a budget in m ind yet... still investigating.

I didn't get to listen to any of the systems in my room, just the stores. The Mackie's are configurable based off how they are positioned in the room. That would make a difference in one's assessment, especially if they were set wrong.

Of course, more Bass might be good for me as I currently tend to over compensate for the lack of low end from my 6" Tannoys. Part of the reason I am looking at larger monitors.

:DYo Eyes of the Tooth:

Suggestion....save your bread and buy a pair of Adam7 monitors. You won't need to buy any other monitors for a long time.

I got my Adam monitors a few months ago and they were amazing right out of the box. I haven't even messed with the power dials--just boosting them from my recorder to mix. Very clean and clear.

Some 8" monitors can be boomy with bass. passive or active.

Don't waste time shopping for a "price" on the Adam monitors--in the USA the price is fixed at just under 1K.

Prior, I had a pair of passive KRKs--had to trouble selling them to someone who read a post of mine. They were good monitors and 8" woofers. If you deal for monitors, MAKE SURE YOU GET FREE shipping and save the boxes for selling them later.

Happy New Year
Green Hornet:cool:

I didn't get to listen to any of the systems in my room, just the stores. The Mackie's are configurable based off how they are positioned in the room. That would make a difference in one's assessment, especially if they were set wrong.

The Tannoy's have a feature called Activ Assist which you can use with a measurement mic. This is also quite a nifty feature which helps get a flatter sound according to your room! Whilst not being an alternative to proper acoustic treatment, it does go some way to improving your monitoring!

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php?product=232&title=Active+Assist%99&s=33

So, is the Tannoy Precision series a step up from the reveal series? Can anyone compare or talk about hose? Obviously i probably lean a little in that direction as I'm more familiar with their product.

So, is the Tannoy Precision series a step up from the reveal series? Can anyone compare or talk about hose? Obviously i probably lean a little in that direction as I'm more familiar with their product.

Tannoy say they are but I've not tried them side by side to make up my own mind.
I would also like to hear of other peoples experience with both of these.
The Reveal 8D is definitely a nice monitor. I used to own a pair of Alesis M1mk2 and the Tannoys have been a nice upgrade. I've been able to get much better mixes with these. They have had lots of excellent reviews and have won various blind shoot outs!

Back