8 mic setup suggestions

qleak

I'm looking at tracking a small band with only 8 mics. Eventually I will add an adat expansion to my presonus 1818vsl (currently in the mail) so I can close mic everything, but at the moment I'm interested in making the best of what I have.

The Band:

*Vocalist Female Contralto type voice loves to handle the mic and somewhat blues sound
*Guitar (Twin + smaller amp) some effects / delay plays with different sounds out of the two amps.
*Bass, the player has one hell of a bass amp, it'd be nice to mic it instead on line in.
*Drums:
1 x Kick
1 x Floor Bass
1 x Tom
1 x Snare
1 x High Hat
3 x cymbals

Mics / Assests:
*dynamic mics:
3 x sm57
1 x sm58
1 x beta52A
*condensors:
2 x octava mk219 Large Diaphram
2 x AT 2021 Small Diaphram
* Stands / clips / cables
3 x drum mic mounts
Plenty of mic clips
Stereo mic bar
plenty of mic stands (full and pint size)

Mainly 6/8 tempo rock with strong female vocals. How would you go about setting up these mics for the situation? I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions for mics to add to my list, I'm looking at beta87c for the vocalist.

Are you saying you want to track everything at once? If so, what's wrong with tracking separately?

Yes i would like to try to track everything at once. The main reason is the vocalist gives considerably better performances with the group. I think the guitarist and bass player would probably be willing to tweak some tracks after the fact, but it would be a shame to give up on recording it since there is considerable improvisation in the group as well.

Given what you have, here's what I'd do:

Vocals: SM58 since she likes to handle the mic
Guitar: SM57s on each amp
Bass: SM57 would probably be the best option since I want the Beta 52 on the kick. Otherwise I'd use the 52 on the bass cab
Overheads: Either condenser pair, take your pick
Snare: SM57
Kick: Beta 52A

That's just my quick automatic "no-brainer" opinion, of course it all depends on the instruments, the room, blah blah blah…

:D

Given what you have, here's what I'd do:

Vocals: SM58 since she likes to handle the mic
Guitar: SM57s on each amp
Bass: SM57 would probably be the best option since I want the Beta 52 on the kick. Otherwise I'd use the 52 on the bass cab
Overheads: Either condenser pair, take your pick

That's just my quick automatic "no-brainer" opinion, of course it all depends on the instruments, the room, blah blah blah…

:D

Thanks guitarplayr! I think you gave me an extra sm57, probably not out of the question I'm sure somebody has one of those we could use, or I could put one of the octavas on the twin.

Best,

-Q

As guitarplayer said, but i'd swap the SM57 from the bass amp to the twin and use the Oktava on the bass amp, but that's just my taste (i'm a big fan of LDC's on bass amps :D). this would then mean having to use the SDC's as overheads, but i'd probably say do that anyway.

that's my 2 pence

Okay everyone thanks for the input here's what I'm thinking. I suspect the Octava will sound better on the bass amp than the SM57 but I'll probably try both out just to be sure.

Vocals: SM58
Guitar: Octava LDC on the twin SM57 on the smaller amp
Bass: I'll have to test the other Octava vs the SM57 whichever sounds "best"
Overheads: AT2021 SDC pair

Back