8 input audio interface (8-track machine to computer)

AnalogDimitri

I need an 8 input audio interface to transfer over recorded stuff from my Fostex R8, an 8-track machine.
I have a 4 input audio interface currently and I've done some transfers to the computer but I have to transfer only 4 tracks at a time. So I then have to manually align the tracks which isn't the most fun of jobs.

I have a couple of options:
1. I could buy a new 8 input audio interface
2. I could buy another Akai EiE Pro (My current 4 track audio interface) and make an aggregate device which would link them up so I can have 8 inputs

Which way would be better?

If I were to buy a new 8 input interface, it would have to be compatible with my Fostex outputs, which are RCA (I do of course have 8 RCA to TS cables to plug into my console).

Any of you guys have a recommendation for an 8 track interface?

Agree manual alignment is no fun, especially if the word clock gets off.

AFA options:
Multiple USB input devices will only work if they're daisy chained...i.e. through an S/PDIF, ADAT or similar input, I don't believe your second option will work. Although your choice of terms leads me to believe you're on a Mac and I'm not sure how things work there...
Leaving lots of options for good 8 input interfaces out there depending on budget. $300/$500/$1000?

Scarlett 18i20 is currently coming with the Red Series plugs for free, making it a great deal in the $500 range.
PreSonus 1818VSL is also a great contender in that range.
M-Audio (whose stuff I really like) has a new M-Track Eight @$400.
And at the bottom of the price range (but certainly not a slouch, by any means) you have the new Tascam 16x08 (I'm currently using it's predecessor, the 1800).

All good choices. Pretty much equal afa quality. Do some research and see what best fits your needs. :)
Happy Recording :D

I don't normally weigh in when it comes to "what's the best of" gear threads, but I will in this case because I actually do have a favorite that I think is leaps ahead of even the latest gear. You didn't mention what interface options you have or what type of computer you have, but here goes anyway... hope you're sitting down because this is probably the strongest statement I ever make about digital gear.

The Echo Layla 24/96 is the best digital interface ever made, bar none! It's more than a decade old, but nothing today can hold a candle to it.

You'll need a PC with a PCI 2.1 slot, but if you don't have one it's worth acquiring an older PC with a PCI slot just to use the Layla 24. Since you're asking this question in an analog forum I'm giving you my analog opinion. ;) If you are serious about preserving all the analog goodness you can when transferring from your R8 to digital you won't use USB of any kind. Most people will disagree with me on that, but I'm concerned with sound quality first and foremost, so that group of "Most people" isn't going to change my mind. I could go into the reasons why USB is a poor interface compared to PCI, but if it becomes a hot topic in this thread it probably won't stay in the analog forum.

Coming from an analog background I actually like the Layla 24/96 rather than just put up with it like I would other interfaces. I like it a lot. And you're looking at something that will only cost you about $150.00 to $200.00 USD used in excellent condition. When brand new they were closer to $1000.00 USD.

So if you're in a position to get an Echo Layla 24 on ebay or wherever, make sure it's complete. Most sellers have no clue and you'll see a lot of them selling the rackmount part without the PCI card and connecting cable. A complete Echo Layla 24 should have the main 8-channel rackmount audio interface, the PCI card (Or cardbus for laptop if that's an option for you), the connecting cable that goes between the rack and PCI card, and the power cord. If it's missing any of that then pass on it.

Good hunting!

I have to ask Beck, what's wrong with USB or firewire as a means of getting the digital data into the computer? Surely the digitising (A-D conversion) is where the greatest difference between units occurs? I've always found the greatest difference in digital gear (well analogue as well) occurs between the summing of signals. Stick a different digital desk on a PC and subtle differences can be heard. Stick a different analogue desk on a multitrack (digital or analogue) and the sound of the console will be imparted on the sound.

Al

Echo Layla is a great piece of gear, very underrated and would be a great way to go.
But since your using Akai EiE Pro I going to assume that you are going in to the computer with USB, or Fire wire.
I'd go with a used presonus Firepod or Firestudio , and use the RCA to TS cable, from the Fostex to the Presonus.

Agree manual alignment is no fun, especially if the word clock gets off.

AFA options:
Multiple USB input devices will only work if they're daisy chained...i.e. through an S/PDIF, ADAT or similar input, I don't believe your second option will work. Although your choice of terms leads me to believe you're on a Mac and I'm not sure how things work there...
Leaving lots of options for good 8 input interfaces out there depending on budget. $300/$500/$1000?

Macs have something called Aggregate Device allowing you to use different audio devices simultaneously without syncing their clocks, but to do it the system has to resample all but one (the master) stream.

Macs have something called Aggregate Device allowing you to use different audio devices simultaneously without syncing their clocks, but to do it the system has to resample all but one (the master) stream.

that was the term that led me to believe he was on a mac. I'm sure a new 4 channel device at $150 would save him a load of cash over the cheapest in his options for 8 channel if it would work. i even saw an EIE Pro for $186 in the Musicians Friend open box bin...

And again, why would Mac make a system that is unusable? That seems a bit odd. They make the effort to give you the ability to have multiple devices, and then ruin it. :confused:

The Echo Layla 24/96 is the best digital interface ever made, bar none! It's more than a decade old, but nothing today can hold a candle to it.

You'll need a PC with a PCI 2.1 slot, but if you don't have one it's worth acquiring an older PC with a PCI slot just to use the Layla 24.

Yeah...I do agree with Beck on this, as I've been running 3 Layla24 boxes for well over 10 years now, and I have no plans to "upgrade" to anything else any time soon.
I don't quite think that there is nothing better, but the few very high end converter boxes out there that cost crazy amounts compared to a used Layla24 on eBay...would for that price, only provide some very minor quality differences and the ability to do really high sample rates, and maybe also offer some additional pro features...none of which is a necessity for the project studio.

As Beck noted...the only hurdle is the PCI card. I'm on my third DAW computer build at the moment, and this one is the last, "newest" model tower that I could find that had at least 3 PCI slots for my there Layla boxes. It's a Dell Precision T3400, 3Ghz Quad Core Extreme, and I just put 16GB of RAM into it, so not the newest, a few years old, but not shabby at all.
If you only need a single PCI slot, you can probably find some even newer models that still carried a PCI slot.

The only other downside to the Layla24...is that their driver development stopped with Win 7....so if you run Win 8, the older drivers may not work...?

Back