8 Channel Pre for Drums...

WATYF

...happier than you.
Sorry... I posted my question in the wrong forum. It really belongs in here...

I'm looking into getting an 8 channel pre for mic'ing my drums. I need lightpipe outs because I'll be running it into a digi001 and I'm already using some of the 1/4" inputs for other things. Plus, I really like the convenience of lightpipe (i.e. I don't have to go out and buy 8 more 1/4" cables just to hook it up. :p). So anyway... these are the ones I'm looking at for the moment... they're all in the price range I'm looking for (600 or less).

Digimax LT

M-Audio Octane

Behringer ADA-8000 (just ran across this one on another forum. Really cheap, but I question the quality)

My question is, does anyone have any experience with any of these and what are your impressions? And what reasons would you have to believe one is better than the other, if you've used them? Also, if there are other options out there, I'm more than open to suggestions.

They each have their own pros and cons. The Octane has 1/4" outs for each preamp and Lightpipe outs. The Digimax only has Lightpipe out. But the Digimax has inserts and the Octane doesn't. The Octane has some kind of stereo mic'ing enhancment feature on channels 7-8 (MS-Matrix or whatever). I'm not sure what that is, or what it does... maybe someone here knows. The Behringer doesn't have any of those bells or whistles... it just has "extremely cheap" going for it.

I don't really use any outboard gear (and can't see that I ever will) so I dunno if the inserts on the Digimax are a selling point for me. Then again, I really only plan to use the lightpipe outs, so I don't know that the 1/4" outs on the Octane are all that big of a deal... although, I guess it would be nice to be able to use it as a preamp live in a pinch or just as an A/D convertor. Plus, I can get the Octane new for 500, but the Digimax would be used (or out of box) for 600. And 200 Bucks for the Behringer makes it very tempting, but I think I'd have to hear samples of this one personally before seriously considering it.

What I'd really like to know is if there's a quality difference in any of those pres. Problem is... I called some local dealers and none of them carry the Octane so I can't A/B them.

WATYF

i'm in the same boat, well a similar boat... but i'm gonna go with with the m-audio because of the price i can get a new one for. they have em at studica.com with a student discount for like 700 bucks canadian i think. I don't know about that behringer but i guess i'm just being biased since i have never actually used it. There is a thread in the computers forum right now about somebody trying one out and giving a review on how it performs.

WATYF said:
My question is, does anyone have any experience with any of these and what are your impressions? And what reasons would you have to believe one is better than the other, if you've used them? Also, if there are other options out there, I'm more than open to suggestions.

Well, admittedly I have no experience with those specific units you mention.

But I do have experience with other mic pres from Presonus, M-Audio, and Behringer in general.

My opinion, overall, is that Behringers tend to be mostly of the crapola variety. Kind of a last resort thing you could use if you run out of other channels. Presonus I might rank slightly ahead of the Behringers, although I've never been a fan; they've just always been kind of a let-down for me. The M-audio pres, on the other hand, have always proven themselves quite useful to me, and seem to represent a seriously good price / performance ratio.

I would have a look at a Soundcraft M-series mixer, though, if I was in your boat.

Another option to check out.....

YAMAHA MG16/6FX 16-Input 6 Bus Mixer with DSP

Features:

16 input channels: 8 mono microphone/line inputs
4 stereo line inputs, 2 of which double as mono mic inputs
10 high-precision mic preamps with switchable phantom power
I/O patch points on all mono inputs
4 buses (stereo and group)
Main stereo bus plus stereo group bus
3-band channel EQ & HPF on all input channels
Switchable high-pass filters
2 aux sends on each channel
Stereo auxiliary return
Illuminated switches
Rackmount adapters included
Specifications:

Less than .1% THD+N, 20Hz to 20kHz @ +14dB 600 oms (ST out)
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz @ + 4dB 600 oms (ST out)
10 mic XLR inputs
8 mono line TRS inputs
2 stereo TRS/RCA inputs
4 TRS insert I/O
2 TRS sends
1 stereo return TRS
Includes:

rackmount adapters

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8206588/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/630053/

Thanks guys... I had already considered mixers (such as the M12) but I really do need the lightpipe (plus I'd prefer a rack unit)... Lightpipe literally doubles my inputs on the digi001. If I go analog, then I'd be using all 8 inputs on the 001 and that would be my limit. With lightpipe, I can use the pres on the 001, plus my focusrite (into the 001 inputs), plus the Digimax/Octane.

FWIW, I finally found some real-world feedback on the Octane and it sounds like it may be closer to what I'm looking for... so I'll probably go with that.

WATYF

I would rule out the Berry not because of quality which is fine* but because it does not have any pads which are an absolute must for drum micing.

* If its good enough for the editor of SOS then it cannot be that bad.

Tony

M-Audio sounds like the best deal from these options. I know I have a DMP3 and I'm still surprised by the quality of the sound for the money I paid for it. Extremely quiet pres in that little box. Of course, my Langevin DVC is the workhorse now, but the DMP3 still gets used.

That being said (since this is for drums) if the Presonus DigiMAX 96k unit was an option, I'd go for it because of the dynamics features. I've heard drums tracks recorded with the DigiMAX and they were awesome. If fact, all of the drums on my next record will be recorded using 2 DigiMAX 96k units. It costs twice what you'll pay for the M-Audio unit, but then again, it would be really nice to have dynamic control of those individual drum tracks....right?

Last edited:
Hey that's cool... guess that verifies my decision.

btw,.. I do all my processing in Pro Tools. I don't even have outboard gear. :p I just have to get really good levels before tracking (so I don't peak during the take).

WATYF

Back