8 ch rackmount recorder w/spdif

justwantyou2kno

I have a Delta 1010 in my small home studio, but I don't want to drag my computer along everytime I go to record a band. So I would like to buy a 8 ch recorder so I can put all of my studio gear in a rack and have a mobile rig. I plan on recording mostly drums and bass with this set up, then I'll use the s/pdif out on the recorder and send all the tracks to the 1010 where I'll be able to edit and make over-dubs. I don't have a budget yet because I'm not sure how much a recorder liek that will cost me, all I have seen that fits my description is the Fostex d160.

And I am also looking at some ADAT recorders on ebay. They are so cheap now-a-days. Would recording on ADAT then sending each track to the 1010 lose to much quality through AD/DA conversion. And I'm not very knowledgable about ADAT, but I assume since they record on tape that coudl be problem. Would an used ADAT be reliable?

Last edited:
ADATs are pretty good for mobile recording. The problem you will have is that SPDIF only supports 2 channels not 8. You need ADAT lightpipe or TDIF for multichannel digital i/o.

There are racks and mounts available to encompass all your gear including your pc, a monitor and your 1010 into a gigrig.

TexRoadkill said:
ADATs are pretty good for mobile recording. The problem you will have is that SPDIF only supports 2 channels not 8. You need ADAT lightpipe or TDIF for multichannel digital i/o.

I was thinking that I'd take 2 tracks at a time over to my 1010, but ADATs are looking much better to me right now. They're going for about 300 bucks on ebay whereas I was expecting to pay around 700 for a 8 track with spdif. The only thing that worries me is the extra AD/DA conversion of taking the track of the ADAT and moving them to the 1010 via the analog ins. But for 300 bucks the problems with the ADATs don't seem to big ;)

Why use the Delta and introduce the extra conversion? Cards with ADAT i/o are cheap. Terratec EWS88D $199 Street, and they pop up on ebay quite a bit. Event EZ8 $179 Street. If you run Win98, the Korg 1212 i/o mates up perfectly to an ADAT machine with 9 pin connection and word clock connection. I paid about $80 for mine used off of ebay.

why not look at a roland vsr880?

it's a rack mount, prices used are killer, spdif in, coax too.....
hardrive, etc, etc........

QUOTE:................."I noticed those are 16 bit units. Is that enough?"

Without wanting to set off another 16 vs 24 bit debarcle............

It has been enough for CDs since their inception and quite seriously, (BTW I use a D160), not once has anyone ever questioned the sound quality of anything that has come off my gear.

I guess it depends on what you are wanting to achieve.

:cool:

Hey check this out...

Musiciansfriend has the Fostex d824 for $599. 16bit, 24bit, 44.1khz, 48khz or 96khz. I own the d1624 and a d824 i love them both. They have the adat and spdif in/out option on them.

Heres the link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...5231937414/g=home/search/detail/base_id/42900

The description states that it comes with a 10gig hard drive. Mine was shipped last month with a 30gig hard drive. If you need more tracks i would serch for a used D1624. You can find them used in the $600 to $800 range.

As far as adat goes. I can't stand them after working with one of these units. It's a pain in the A$$ to keep track of all of the sessions on the tapes and it's a pain to wait and ffwd or rwnd to find the next song. Plus i would recommend that you go with something that has a higher bit and khz rate so you can stay on the cutting edge of digital technology.

Back