788, D12, or BR8

mars70

I am currently researching digital multitrack recorders. I was this close to buying the BR8 on a recommendation from a friend, until I realized it only had 2 track simultaneous recording. I'd like whatever I buy to have at least four.

Then I found the Korg D12. It seems like the best deal, but the Tascam 788 does as well, and I'm really more familiar with Tascam than I am with Korg.

So here's a couple of questions:
(1) which is going to serve me better for recording a full band? (2) both the 788 and D12 have available cdr/rw for them. I know with the D12 you can also use the burner for audio cds, mp3s, etc., but can you do the same with the 788s?

Thanks for any help that can be given.

mars70

That's news to me about the D12 and mp3 capability, but...the 788 does do audio CDs. I own a 788, and can't say enough, not good, but great things about it. For one, the sound quality is top notch, and the editing and ease of use are outstanding.

They both offer 24bit recording, but the D12 only gives you 6 tracks at that resolution. If you really need those four extra tracks@16bit, then, maybe that's your answer. But I'd sacrifice the four tracks (then again, I can because I do a lot of MIDI work) for overall quality and ease of use.

But I do think the D12 is a good machine. However, while Korg makes good recorders, Tascam makes better.

Back