7506 Headphones took a dump...what to replace them with?

Toker41

Better Than You
Ok, my Sony MDR-7506's crapped out. Left speaker doesn't work. I contacted Sony, who offered to exchange my $95 headphones for a new pair for $79.:rolleyes:

So, I'm looking to replace them. Any suggestions on something comparable?

I have never used those. I'm a fan of the Sennheiser HD280s, though, and would recommend them for general use, including tracking.

Those keep coming up. How are they for doing vocals? Only thing I never liked about the 7506 is all the bleed.

If you like the Sony's, why not stay with the Sony's? Look for a deal on eBay. I think the Sony MD600's are the same thing as the 7506's.

I've got about six pairs of 7506's with one side out. It'll take a while to find them, but I'll send you a broken set and you can pull the good driver out.

The Audio Technica ATH-M40 would be another to consider.

I own the 7506 and I've come to really not like it too much. Just doesn't seem accurate to me. Kind of like the Yamaha NS-10 was in that way, everybody used them but they didn't sound that good.

The HD 280's are all I use for tracking. Not the most accurate by any stretch but, they are comfortable and are a studio proven work horse. Hell, even Ashlee Simpson sports a pair on the back cover of her new CD (the CD sucks but the picture is nice!). Do yourself a favor and grab a pair, too easy. There is a reason they keep coming up! (stay away from the "silver" edition. Same phones, more money.)

I'm looking on Ebay at the 280's. I think no matter what I do, I will stay clear of Ebay on this on. I ended up getting taken on a fake SM57. There is a guy selling new pairs of 280's, which he claim in every ad to have "won", but already has headphones. Gotta be suspicious when he seem to win dozens of pairs.

There are certain items I just don't buy used, and headphones are one of them. Drivers can blow, the cables can be intermittent. They are just kind of delicate things, and you want to know they are working properly when you get them. Better to find the best deal *new* on your choice of headphones. My opinion anyway!

here are certain items I just don't buy used, and headphones are one of them.

I second that. I have beaten the heck out of my HD 280's. But *I* know what they have been through and *I* know what problems (none) they have. New is the way to go with phones.

I've got a couple of pairs of 280's. I use em for tracking everything. The iso is plenty good enough for tracking drums as well.
Worth lookin into.

I've used the Sony 7506 for a very long time (they are a recognized "industry standard)- but a few years ago I picked up a pair of HD280.

I've grown to like the 280's more than the 7506. I like the sound better and without doubt the HD280s are more comfortable.

Regarding bleed when recording vocals - there should be no logical reason headphones should have to be so loud to cause a concern about bleed (at least not with vocals).

I would never buy headphones on ebay - there are too many things that can be damaged........and new headphones (at least in the 7506 or hd280 range)simply are not that expensive

I like my 280s a lot, more than the Sony's you had, and have been using them for years for all tracking. My newer AT-M50s, though, are by far the best-sounding closed cans I've ever used. Comfy, too, although they're not quite as snug as the Senns if that's an issue.

I've used the Sony 7506 for a very long time (they are a recognized "industry standard)- but a few years ago I picked up a pair of HD280.

I've grown to like the 280's more than the 7506. I like the sound better and without doubt the HD280s are more comfortable.

Regarding bleed when recording vocals - there should be no logical reason headphones should have to be so loud to cause a concern about bleed (at least not with vocals).

I would never buy headphones on ebay - there are too many things that can be damaged........and new headphones (at least in the 7506 or hd280 range)simply are not that expensive

Some of those 48v LD mics I use on vocals are so sensitive that a pin can be heard dropping in the house across the street.

If you like the Sony's, why not stay with the Sony's? Look for a deal on eBay. I think the Sony MD600's are the same thing as the 7506's.

I've got about six pairs of 7506's with one side out. It'll take a while to find them, but I'll send you a broken set and you can pull the good driver out.

Thank you for the offer. Don't knock yourself out, but if you happen to come across a pair, I would love to take you up on your very generous offer.

Another satisfied Senn 280 user/abuser. The isolation is excellent and as everyone else stated, they are comfortable to wear.

Back