70s Style music

supertramp1979

Hi , I am new to this group. I wanted to share some music with you guys. I kinda get the feeling that a lot of people dont like my music. It is what it is. I have three songs you might want to listen to. They are all in the style of 1970s progressive art rock. One of them is called windows which is the latest song I recorded. For any analog enthusiasts, nows yer chance! I only used 70's equipment to record (including mics and cables!) and 70s authenticity is the upmost importance to me. Feel free to say as you please!

http://www.purevolume.com/ornery/music

The song "Windows" reminds me of old YES and ELP. This seems to be the best of the 3 mainly because there is no singing on it. No offence but the person singing on the other 2 songs is so horrible that I was cringing while trying to listen to them. If you get someone that can actually sing your songs could be 200% better.

I listened to Windows as well, after reading the previous post and I can definitely hear the ELP influence. What synth are you using for the main (moog-ish) lead?

I sing, but no offense taken. Who else is going to sing? I cant find anyone!

But yes, the first two songs are older and not something I hold dear. I like the melodies, but everything is one take.
when I recorded windows, I used a 1976 Octave cat electronic music synthesizer. I dont really listen to ELP, at all actually, but a compliment none the less!!!

best,
John

hey the singing is cool, I like shaky emotional style vox

maybe just try to get a tighter take, next go round

really like tell me,

some times I like playing challenging stuff, more than I like to listen to it

(windows) but I have some rog rock in my collection, so

like Tell Me a lot, that git solo is really cool as well

my 2,

Much Love, Sean http://seanryderwilliams.com/

Windows, I could hear more Frank Zappa, to me. I like it... but I like my own stuff, so my judgement may be impaired.

supertramp1979 said:
when I recorded windows, I used a 1976 Octave cat electronic music synthesizer.
John
Dude, I had one of those! Dual oscillator, one always drifting? Love it. Wish I hadn't sold it.!

I can't say that sounds like any Yes I've listened too...Way too mellow for the Power drive Yes exuded. Have you heard Particle? The vocals on "Tell me" has an early King Crimson feel...I mean the tone. I haven't listened to them for years, so I just might be talkin outa my head. :)
It reminds me of a mellow, progressive jazzy Particle take, not quite as tronics. By the way, I think the vocals on "Tell me" weren't bad at all. You have a real...What am I trying to say...I really did not want to word it this way because of the Walters thing(don't ask), but your voice does have a creamy, milky sound on that song. I liked it..We all could use some extra practice. As for the other(congratulations).. :eek: .Let someone else sing it or keep it instumental. Over all I like where your going with your music...Keep on keepin' on!!! :) And I liked windows very much. But who am I? BUS!!!!

tjbogin said:
Are those real drums or a program? If a program which did you use?

Hi,

everything on all of the recordings you hear is 100% completely analog. Abolustely no digital allowed!! they are my 1978 Ludwig "disco silver" drums..

take care

lbanks said:
Dude, I had one of those! Dual oscillator, one always drifting? Love it. Wish I hadn't sold it.!

Hey...my fort wayne friend, living in the most uncivil city in universe!!
I felt your pain for a few years....is that "rainbow palace" store still open? I havent been in ft wayne sine 1998!

That is the synth, ....the sad thing is, i didnt drift when I first purchased it a year ago. Then i calibated it with a voltmeter and the tuning procedure, and ever since then, the synth drifts higher up in pitch over a slow period of time...

Im sure a REAL tech could fix this!

best,
JOhn

PS- what did you sell your cat for? What year? They are collectors items now I guess!

true-eurt said:
I can't say that sounds like any Yes I've listened too...Way too mellow for the Power drive Yes exuded. Have you heard Particle? The vocals on "Tell me" has an early King Crimson feel...I mean the tone. I haven't listened to them for years, so I just might be talkin outa my head. :)
It reminds me of a mellow, progressive jazzy Particle take, not quite as tronics. By the way, I think the vocals on "Tell me" weren't bad at all. You have a real...What am I trying to say...I really did not want to word it this way because of the Walters thing(don't ask), but your voice does have a creamy, milky sound on that song. I liked it..We all could use some extra practice. As for the other(congratulations).. :eek: .Let someone else sing it or keep it instumental. Over all I like where your going with your music...Keep on keepin' on!!! :) And I liked windows very much. But who am I? BUS!!!!
I never listen to krimson, and I have never heard particle?
Well the problem is, when I used to sing (I dont anymore) I would do everything in one take. COngrats for instance, needed the vocals, but that was probably the first time I ever recorded and sang, and it was awful. But no one else can sing those high notes (not that its that high) but seriously, what other adult male have you met who could sing those high notes and lives relatively close to me? Its a challenge, so collabs are something I dont do. And yes, I refuse to have a girl singing on it!

But thanks for all the compliments, or negative things, doesn't matter to me. Input is input so I appreciate it from all of you!

best
john

supertramp1979 said:
And yes, I refuse to have a girl singing on it!

But thanks for all the compliments, or negative things, doesn't matter to me. Input is input so I appreciate it from all of you!

best
john
You got somethin' against gurls?.... :D

I listened to Windows. Great stuff! Good playing.
I'm glad some people are doing this kind of music nowadays. Cool thing about sites like this: You can hear some interesting music that you'd never find on any radio station.

Please, keep it up!
I used to sing on my first recordings (yukkum), but eventually found a great singer. If you play good music, they will come. . .

Steve Hillage/Gong

I used to listen to this kind of thing (and like the majority of that ilk - completely baked in someone's crappy old bedsit). A big fat hearty spliff might help me more appreciate all that ever-morphing, stream-of-music-conscious cacophony, but I kind of like the natural high these days I get from whistling a melody that doesn't put me in traction.

I put on ELP's Brain Salad Surgery the other week for (perhaps) the 3rd and (definitely) the last time in my life; it's just plain meandering bollocks played with aplomb, isn't it? Totally carbon dated, fossil fuel for the creatively-impaired to exhume and clone.

I bet I could still listen to Supertramp in the evening (without chucking up breakfast), and anything from Yes up to the turn of the century (!), but my days of finding 'spiritual solace' in a 20-minute 'study in 48 different keys and time signatures' are thankfully over.

Great playing though. Really good. Enjoyed the bass antics. And as someone else said in the thread, it's probably great fun to play.

And if you hand out complimentary reefers at your performances, I'll take a ringside seat!

supertramp1979 said:
Hey...my fort wayne friend, living in the most uncivil city in universe!!
I felt your pain for a few years....is that "rainbow palace" store still open? I havent been in ft wayne sine 1998!

Its also the dumbest city in the nation, an honor well-deserved. The Rainbow Palace is still open, but it has been castrated. It used to be the penultimate headshop, now they just sell smoking accesorries(sp?).
supertramp1979 said:
That is the synth, ....the sad thing is, i didnt drift when I first purchased it a year ago. Then i calibated it with a voltmeter and the tuning procedure, and ever since then, the synth drifts higher up in pitch over a slow period of time...

Im sure a REAL tech could fix this!

best,
JOhn

PS- what did you sell your cat for? What year? They are collectors items now I guess!
I sold mine about in '88, during a bad financial crisis. I got $400. I was glad at the time because the drifting was getting worse and nobody here could or would work on it.

Back