703 vs mineral wool

bigtom

I have read through alot of this forum and the links that were provided. So is mineral wool as good as the 703 or not. SPI just told me that it was just as good and that it would sell for about .50 cents a square foot. They are going to call me back this morning to let me know for sure. They also said they had the mineral wool in stock but did not have the 703 in stock, so I am wondering if they just want to sell what they have or are they telling me the truth.

Thanks
Big Tom

what are the specs? you want something around 3pcf or 6pcf to be roughly equiv. generally speaking 703 as a brand is more expensive than many other alternatives.

I have both 703 and mineral wool...my 703 panels are 2 in thick and my wool panels are 4in thick. From what I read on the 2 materials before I made my purchases, no the wool is not 100% as effective as the 703, but for me, the price differance was the thing...so its not just as good....I bought 6 - 4in panels of wool for about half of what 6 - 4in panels of 703 would have cost. In total, I have 12 - 2 in 703 panels, and 6 - 4in wool panels and it made a WORLD of differance in my rooms...

Thanks gullfo,

I'm not sure what pcf is but they said it was an 8 pound board. They also said on some freq. it was even better than the 703 and I think I remember seeing that ethan's page somewhere. Could that be true?

Thanks thajermey,

I was thinking of using 2 inch on the walls and 4 inch in the corners. Any thoughts?

4", 8lb mineral wool will work fine for straddling corner absorbers. For the walls, 2" and a lighter density is sufficient.

Bryan

Thanks for all the answers you guys have given. :):)

Now one more question if I may, on your wall panels did you build a 1x4 frame for them or did you just mount them flush to the wall. I only ask because of some pictures I have seen, they look like they are flush and I thought they had to be raised, like on the 1x4 frame.

I've got my mineral wool here, I got 4 packages with 6 2in boards each in them. As soon as I get the answer I'm building some frames and putting them up, can't wait to see if there is any difference or not. :D:D

Thanks again
Big Tom

Back