703 Panels - I Did It!

mikeh

OK - after reading dozens of posts about home made sound treatment using 703 - I finally did it. I bought a box of twelve 4'x2'x2" 703 panels. I bought wood to frame the 703 and fabric to cover the frames.

My main tracking/mixing area is 15'x16' with 7' a ceiling (yeah I know, the rooms too square, but it's what I have to work with). I also have a 5'x6' vocal booth (which I also use to track guitar amps). I don't track live drums (I use a Roland TD10 kit with either sosunds from the Roland - or - triggering BFD samples. So the 15'x16' room is mainly for mixing and tracking acoustic instruments (excluding drums)

So, I made ten 4'x2'x2" framed panels and two 4'x1'x4" panels (for corner bass traps). I replaced all my 2'x2' Aurolex foam with the 703 panels (although I may still use some of the Aurolex for some spot treatment after I figure out what sound tratment I may still need). I have coverage for side reflections, back wall reflections, bass traps and I even have a cloud over the mix area (I'm getting waaaaay to anal about this whole sound treatment thing:eek:)

I've only had a week to work in the new environment (mostly tracking and only 1 mixing session) - but I've already noticed a few things. My mix environmnetal seems more balanced. I use to have trouble finding the right bass balance in the mix and it now seemsa little easier to dial in the bass (I don't use a sub). My vocal booth seems to track with just a little bit more brightness (I think the Aurolax muddied the sound up too much). A couple of people have been in and comment that the panels actually creat a less "cluttered" look than all the 2'x2' foam.

I've been in this space for 2 years - so it will take some time to adjust and tweak the precise placement of the panels, but I can already tell that it will be worth the effort- at least I sure hope so (I hate building projects and I'm not all that handy - so it was a fairly large project for my lazy ass).

The only thing that surprised me was the fact that it cost me about $350 in supplies (in part because I could only find one local supplier of the 703 and I had to spend close to $150 just for that). I also paid a higher price to find a fabric design that complemented my studio (which is purple with grey & black accents). For about $100 more, (not including shipping) I probably could have bought something just as good.

I'm still glad I did it - and reading the posts on this site was the motivating factor - so thanks to all those who have shared info about 703 in the past!!!!!

No - I don't have any pictures at this time:D

Yeah!
I know acoustic treatment is not a thrilling purchase, but it sure helps a lot more than folks realize.

pics when available?

I spent over $1600 for all my Roxul / wood / fabric so dont feel bad!

Did you notice any major differences when tracking acoustic instruments in your treated room? Like is there less "flutter" or "crappy reverb" sound when miking further back? Say, 2' or more?

a few months ago, I purchased 12 sheets of 2ft X 4ft X 2in 703 for broad band traps and 6 sheets of 4' X 2' X 4" Mineral wool for corner traps I have about 4 sheets of the 703 left and I want to cut them and make floor to ceiling traps....has anyone tried to cut the stuff??? Im wondering what you used. I havnt tried yet because I dont want to mess any of it up.

Did you notice any major differences when tracking acoustic instruments in your treated room? Like is there less "flutter" or "crappy reverb" sound when miking further back? Say, 2' or more?

I think this is perhaps one of the finest things I noticed about my place.
For the first time, room mics become not only an option but a big plus in some circumstances.
I can work the mics for that drier in your face sound or back it up for a thinner sound with some very light room sound. My main room is pretty big (for me any way) it is about 15 by 32 with 9 foot ceilings.

The easiest way to cut the 703 is with a straight edge and one of those cheap disposable break off razor knives. (Use the ones that have the skinny blades and keep it sharp).

To the OP - congrats. Welcome. You'll never go back to a bare room again.

Bryan

danny.guitar
The only acoustic intruments tracked so far are acoustic guitar and banjo - so I don't have a lot of reference data yet - however, I am finding that I can now use room mics with more condfidence that I won't get problem reflections like I did before. (I'm still working on finding the "sweet spot" in the room hoping without moving the E-Drums too much). Within the next couple of weeks I'll be recording a violin and a harrp (something I did not feel I could attempt before) which will be the real "acoustic" test for me.

thajeremy
To cut the 703, I simply used a a well sharpened "pocket knife" (a Cold Steel knife, which is a well constructed, well sharpened tool). Although I'm sure a utility knife or any sharp blade would do the job. The stuff cuts rather easy and holds it's form after being cut (as long as you don't hack the hell out of it).

tmix
After seeing how much you paid - I don't feel so bad:D

danny.guitar
The only acoustic intruments tracked so far are acoustic guitar and banjo - so I don't have a lot of reference data yet - however, I am finding that I can now use room mics with more condfidence that I won't get problem reflections like I did before. (I'm still working on finding the "sweet spot" in the room hoping without moving the E-Drums too much). Within the next couple of weeks I'll be recording a violin and a harrp (something I did not feel I could attempt before) which will be the real "acoustic" test for me.

When you get around to recording something, if you get a chance, do you think you could maybe post a short clip of miking an acoustic guitar from say about 2 ft away? Maybe 3 ft? I'm just curious how much different it will sound compared to an untreated room like mine.

Me too For Cutting...

Went to Value Village and bought a (Turkey) Electric Carving knife for $3
I used Roxul AFB and Safe and I first scored the Roxul w/ a utlity knife (razor blade) then cut through it w/ the Carving knife.

I usutlly use a serrated bread knife. wear a mask while cutting as it can release a lot of irritating little fibers into the air.

As flor the 'I could have bought something for about the same plus shipping' do not discount the cost of shipping. a two by four foot piece of anything must be shipped UPS odd size so it will cost a lot.

Back